Super Contributor

"Approximately 200 students have been suspended at Tottenville High School on Staten Island since the start of the school year.

School officials say the students violated the strict dress code known as 'Dress for Success.'

Students say they are not allowed to wear leggings, skinny jeans, head bands and hoodies.

Of the suspensions, 90 percent were of girls. On Sept. 5, many reportedly came to school wearing short shorts and tank tops due to sweltering temperatures and a lack of air conditioning inside the school.

Inappropriate clothing "creates a distraction; is dangerous and interferes with the learning and teaching process," a school official told the NY Post."

Which side are you on? The Principal's or students'?

Honored Contributor

I think if you're going to have numerous restrictions, going the uniform route might be a better option.

Honored Contributor

Wow...I'm sure there's a no smoking rule, as week, yes? Everyone knows about dress codes...it's no secret before school.

Parents become a Defense Attorney for their kid...I'm sure the parents are just as wheel's off as the kids.

Prime example of what they think is acceptable (...and I thought is was too hot??):

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Super Contributor

A lot of schools have so-called dress codes but they are largely not enforced because school administrators understandably have more important things to do. Some schools will either send the child home to change or call the parent to bring in appropriate clothes, but I've never heard of being suspended for this.

Or is this not extremely important in terms of school tone and children following rules?

Honored Contributor

The charter school next door to me has uniforms.

I think it's a great idea. Everyone looks the same, parents can save money on clothes...it's a win for everyone.

There have been numerous suspensions here for kids wearing T shirts featuring assault rifles. They claim it is their 2nd Amendment right to be able to wear them. The schools say they are distracting. Uniforms would stop that problem in it's tracks.

Super Contributor

ITA with the uniform idea. If kids won't follow the rules, let them wear uniforms.

Honored Contributor

No children but I would almost always side with those doing the teaching or working for the school in an administrative capacity.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My choice is uniforms.

Why aren't headbands allowed though?

Honored Contributor
On 9/15/2014 brii said:

My choice is uniforms.

Why aren't headbands allowed though?

Gang related? Like hoodies?

Honored Contributor
On 9/15/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/15/2014 brii said: