Frequent Contributor

CRUISE WEAR HELP? and any suggestions please this is my first cruise (-:

I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas in May of next year. This is my first cruise, and the first vacation I have had in 24 years..

I am 62 years old, what do people wear on the cruise ship for dinner. Are long pants a necessity? I have many crop pants but I want to dress appropriate and want to buy things per my budget.

Thanks in advance ladies, I really appreciate it. I can't wait. I am not well, I have lupus so I will be spending a log of time in my cabin and it was suggested to me to get a cabin with a balcony, which I am doing. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, limited space is a must.. are you able to do laundry on the ship. I have not booked it yet. I am going with my daughter. i am so excited..

Frequent Contributor

Re: CRUISE WEAR HELP? and any suggestions please this is my first cruise (-:

I just purchased a bathing suit online and have not worn one is close to 30 years. YIKES It should be coming this week.

Honored Contributor

A cruise to the Bahamas sounds wonderful!

It's been several years since I've taken a cruise in the Caribbean but from what I remember just wear what you are comfortable in...something nice for dinner like a nice top and I' pretty sure I wore capris during dinner except for formal night when we got more dressed up. I'm not a dress person but a pretty sundress, skirt or maxi would work too.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you are feeling well so you don't have to spend too much time in the cabin though one with a balcony is nice.

ETA: go to cruise critic.com and you will find all sorts of threads in their community forum relating to all kinds of cruise questions! There is even a "roll call" section for "meeting" others who will be on your cruise.

Frequent Contributor

How kind of you...thanks for your thoughts and the link!
Honored Contributor

bathing suit and comfy clothes! for dinner I've worn nice capris and tops or a nice dress. took I nice dress slacks to mix & match since our trips are 2-3 weeks. the only time I got dressed up was formal nite took nice black dress - wore it to dinner & show by 10pm was in comfy clothes again! I think cruises are casual these days. I would suggest if you are going on beach excursions take water shoes and shore excursions good walking shoes! more importantly have a great time!!!!
Esteemed Contributor

You need a travel scale http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lewis-N.-Clark-Lewis-N.-Clark-Luggage-Scale-with-Weight-Indicator/15861551

If I have to fly, I go a day early. I do not want to miss the ship.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/ Information about each ship. Is there a laundry room aboard?

Super Contributor

My husband and I go on cruises every year. You will need 1 nice outfit for the 2nd night of dinner. This can be a nice pair of slacks and top. Or a dress. Shoes or nice sandals. After that, you you can dress casual. Take 1 or 2 bathing suits. A light jacket. You will mainly be in shorts, tank tops and short sleeves 99% of the time. Sneakers for shopping and long walks. A back pack to carry towels to beach. You never gave to leave the ship. Even when it docks, you can stay on and use the pool area. There are shows every night. You can dress up or go casual. There are shops on the ship. You can buy whatever you forgot. Professional photographers every night. You can take different outfits for photos. Ice tea, coffee and water are free. You must pay for sodas and alcohol. You will dine with other people at your table. We prefer to dine alone. You can ask for private table. Safe with combination in each room. Balconey rooms are best. Take extra money. Tips are encouraged for each servant on last day. Take bungee cord to hold your suitcases together. Have fun!,
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone, I just hope my body holds up and I didn't wait too long...I can barely walk. Again I thank you
Respected Contributor

Get a pair of black palazzo pants and just rotate your tops. They will become a staple in your wardrobe long after you return home.

HSN has some great ones on sale today.

Respected Contributor

Pack things that do not wrinkle. NO irons on ships due to fire risk.

A pair of black palazzo pants (or skirt) can be re-worn with several ways. Bring one pair of dressy shoes (even sparkly flats) and just change up your blouses. A sparkly blouse with blk pants are fine for formal nights.

Comfortable non skid shoes are a must.

Clothes that function double duty are great.

Tee shirt dresses are great, one piece throw on and go for a walk, go to breakfast or use as a swim suit cover-up or.

Bring a lanyard or wrist bungy to keep your ship card/room card key handy. You will always need your key and carrying your purse is not always convenient.

Travel clock- I have never been on a cruise that had clocks in the room, even in suites!?!?!