Respected Contributor

Grandson in Same Condition as Joan Rivers

Not sure where to post this, but this week my family has been dealing with the same issues that Joan Rivers is currently suffering from. Teen age grandson had surgery earlier to repair a broken wrist at a local surgery center. When they started to remove the breathing tube, fluid went into his lungs and he stopped breathing. The tube was quickly replaced and he was not without oxygen for any period of time. He was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital. He has been in a medically induced coma for several days. I can certainly relate to what Melissa and her son are going through.

His vitals have been good, his lungs seem to have cleared and his cardiogram is ok. They removed the breathing tube an hour or so ago and he is breathing well on his own now, and seems aware of what's happening, though groggy from meds. Hopefully there is no brain damage, as he was not deprived of oxygen for more than a few seconds. But the whole experience has been unbearably stressful for all of us.

I know that Joan's age and the fact that she was in cardiac arrest (I think) are definitely not in her favor, but I sincerely hope that her outcome will be a good one. I'm 80 too, and I also hope that at this age she will choose to retire and live out her remaining years with her daughter and grandson in relative peace and relaxation. It's not easy to retire - I know how I've missed being active after more than 60 years - but sometimes God has a way of telling you it's time to let it all go and turn it over to younger minds & bodies. I hope Joan hears him.

Honored Contributor

Re: Grandson in Same Condition as Joan Rivers

OMGosh, I'm so sorry that your baby is going thru this. I can't imagine the heartache and fear you all have been dealing with. Blessings to your grandson and all those that are caring for him. It sounds like all may be good so far and I pray it continues.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

That is so scary. I'm glad he's breathing in his own now.
Valued Contributor

I can't imagine Joan ever retiring... she's said that's what keeps her going, right?

Thank goodness your grandson is recovering. Kiss

And it's certainly extremely stressful.

Super Contributor

Oh my goodness, I hope your grandson has a complete recovery. Positive thoughts and good wishes his way.

Respected Contributor

Positive thoughts and good wishes for your grandson! And a few for you too-

Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear your troubles and grief over your grandson. Best to him.

Employment, meaningful work does keep some of us going in this life.

Honored Contributor

Perk up, I'm so sorry to hear this about your grandson and hope that , now that the breathing tube has been removed, he'll have a full, quick recovery. I'm so sorry.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Perkup,

I'm so sorry to read about your grandson. Teenagers are known for making strong recoveries, so he most certainly has that on his side.

The brain must be without oxygen for several minutes at least to suffer damage, so it sounds really good since he only had a problem for a few seconds.

My prayers are with him, and you and your family, I know you must be so worried.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

My prayers for your grandson and family.......