Esteemed Contributor

A few weeks ago I was traveling from Pennsylvania to NY. I posted something on the Q board from my iphone. I was in New Jersey at the time and posted an innocuous comment.

When I tried to respond I got an error message from QVC (I can't remember exactly what it said, but I do remember it saying that I needed to take some time away from the QVC board.)

I immediately emailed them to ask what was going on, and they sent a fairly quick response that I didn't understand, but it said something about my IP address (whatever that is). I wrote back and told them I'm traveling and not at my home computer, and they wrote back and said that was probably why my post triggered the "ban," and not to worry. Within a few minutes, I was able to post again.

I don't understand anything that this board does, but I'm very happy to have it.

Can someone explain what happened?

Thanks!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

Re: Got Temporarily ""Banned""

I don't understand, either, but sure are happy YOU are still hereSmile

Respected Contributor

somebody in that area in NJ got banned and they banned by IP address - they probably picked up a bunch of them, not a specific one, but wild carded it. IP address is your machine's "address" from where you are posting from

So, if you were at a NJ Starbucks, posting there, QVC might have blocked all of those IP addresses in that general area if they felt that area was a problem. Many websites do this and they have no idea what they are doing when they wild card, because a lot of innocent posters can get swept up in their zeal to ban one poster

That is what happened to you and they unblocked that IP addy.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

Does that mean they are banning by IP address now?

Respected Contributor

That makes no sense as I post from my Cell Phone, my Kindle...my desktop...our laptop etc.

Honored Contributor

I don't get it either but does it matter? Q responded promptly and too care of the problem. End of story.
Honored Contributor

Every day I learn something new. Sorry you had to get banned for a few minutes to teach us about IP addresses.

Respected Contributor

On 8/29/2014 chrystaltree said: I don't get it either but does it matter? Q responded promptly and too care of the problem. End of story.

It mattered to the OP so you should be more caring about other people.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

On 8/29/2014 monketoes said:

I don't understand, either, but sure are happy YOU are still hereSmile

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Don't worry, be Happy!
Super Contributor

On 8/29/2014 brii said:

Does that mean they are banning by IP address now?

Yep. Have been for years.