Super Contributor

Is QVC a healthy place for women?

I was pondering tonight the enormous amount of time they devote to helping us with our lines and wrinkles and aging issues. Then I was thinking about HSN and how they offer things like sewing and crafts and actually just more in general. Although I love QVC primarily for jewelry, I have been a bit turned off by the major emphasis in the above subject matter.

I have been very blessed with my skin and I look much younger and I actually do not a wrinkle problem. But just the constant harping away at it and the huge price tags on these silly creams make it pretty obvious it's about $$$$. I think it is time for viewers to let them know that our aging is personal.

Super Contributor

Re: Is QVC a healthy place for women?

and was this removed?

Respected Contributor

Was what removed?

Honored Contributor

Sure it's about the money - it's a business!! What do you expect? Just don't watch or buy if you don't want the products!!! I like the variety of beauty products here at QVC. I don't really care for all the jewelry shows but I'm not going to complain as so many like and buy their jewelry.

I don't get what anything you posted has to do with QVC being or not being a healtlhy place for women though!! How do sewing, crafts, jewelry and other products have anything to do with that???

Frequent Contributor

I suppose it is no different than ""ladies"" magazines. Do you want them to go away too. Pick and choose what you want and don't look at the other stuff. I am not that into beauty products at all. So I don't watch them. End of story.

Respected Contributor

I think if you watch QVC (or any shopping channel) day in and day out as your entertainment, THAT is unhealthy.

Respected Contributor

I agree with OP. When I watch, I find myself wanting more stuff. I crave stuff I did not know even existed until I saw it on QVC. Stuff I was perfectly happy without 5 minutes earlier. The very nature of TV shopping is materialistic, 100% of the time, which is not a good way to go through life. With all things, we need to self moderate.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

It's a TV SHOPPING channel.

When you don't feel like shopping, don't watch....there are hundreds of other choices.

Super Contributor

"Wanting more stuff" is the goal of advertising! QVC is nothing more than a 24 hour advertisement, an infomercial which runs constantly- The "hosts" are pitchmen, very personable and great pitchemn and no amount of social media will make them your friends

Like all good advertisement, they create a need and they fill it, they are extremely diverse and hope that SOMETHING will appeal to SOMEONE, eventually, and they are right!

QVC is an absolute advertising success, and as long as everyone remembers that while they watch, no harm no foul....

Yes, we need to self moderate, no matter how difficult they try and make it for us to do so!

Honored Contributor

OP: I get what you're saying. QVC is not as diversified as HSN. Just like I think all those 'women's mags' you see at the grocery are not good for women's self-esteem, I agree that the Q sends the same message. Unfortunately the Q has found its niche with beauty stuff. Makes stockholders happy.