Super Contributor

I DON'T WANT TO RETIRE. ANYONE ELSE?

I turned 61 this year and so started thinking about retiring from my job in about 4 years and I realized, I don't think I will ever want to retire. My job is stressful but I love it (child support enforcement). I have a great boss (the county Prosecutor) and I like my co workers. Money isn't really the issue because I will have a good pension if I retire in 4 years.I am not good with leisure time. My husband is already retired but he is good at entertaining himself. I don't want to travel. I have grand kids but I get to see them quite a bit already. My boss has made it clear that he doesn't want me to retire, ever, lol. Just curious- does anyone else feel this way about retirement?

Honored Contributor

Re: I DON'T WANT TO RETIRE. ANYONE ELSE?

Most days I feel like I'll work for as long as possible. My daughter says I'll never retire because I'm a workaholic. I, too enjoy my job.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

If you love working and love your job you are very fortunate. I hated my job of 24 years and was so glad to leave it. Love retirement....no time clock, do what I want when I want, no one to report to, I can dress however I please.
Respected Contributor

Oh, I so love my job as well. I imagine I will work as long as I am able. I should pay them {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

My neighbor owns a florist shop. She is at least 86 years old and works 6 days a week. She leaves at 7AM and comes home at 5PM (except for Thursdays and Fridays, when she works even later, getting ready for weddings).

She is never going to retire and loves her life.

I never plan on retiring either.

Respected Contributor

My husband will never retire. I probably won't retire, but will be part time.

If I hit the lottery and could travel constantly, then yes I would retire.

Respected Contributor

When I was working in a job, & a place, that I truly enjoyed, I wanted to work until I was 70. Unfortunately, circumstances beyond my control intervened & I landed in something I'm not too fond of. Now I'm 66 & hope to get out of here at the end of this year & looking forward to less stress & enjoying myself.

I think you should continue working for as long as you want & leave on your own terms whenever you're ready!

Honored Contributor

If you do not want to retire, don't. Four years is a long way off and very possibly you will change your mind.

I am a retired teacher; for me, every day is like Saturday. Trust me, if you want to be busy you'll find plenty of things to do. The best thing about retirement is being able to do what you want to do, when you want to do it.

Honored Contributor

i have no plans to retire......my s/o and i have our own businesses so we plan to keep them going as long as we can.....with excellent, hard working employees.

my dad died almost 10 years ago and he was working more than full time up until the day he died. he was 73.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

My dad had several different careers after he left the military, mostly he was in international business but when my parents had me late in their life and moved to the US from England my dad got into real estate. He was very successful and kept with it for nearly 40 years. He was almost 89 when he died, but he was still doing some real estate deals with referral clients in his early 80's. He was great with people, loved helping people. He was always an active guy and hated to be sitting around not being productive. It was one of the things that frustrated him most when he started to get sick and had physical limitations. His mind and spirit were active, his body just couldn't keep up. I say work as long as you can if it makes you happy. It sounds like you really enjoy what you do, and I think keeping active and being productive truly helps keep a person young. There should be no rules telling a person when they need to retire. You are one of those people fortunate to have a good job working with people that appreciate you, seems like your Boss is happy keeping you. I say enjoy it while you can.