Super Contributor

Hello, have you had a good week?

My hot water heater started a leak on Wednesday I guess and I have been out of my home since then. I sure miss my home. They have the carpet pulled up in the area and two funny looking fans under the carpet on top of the padding and it is drying........then they will have to come and put down the carpet again. I am glad it was clean water. They also have given me a new hot water tank but it is only 30 gallons which is not enough to take a hot bath in...........oh well...........I am still thankful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hello, have you had a good week?

How big is your bath tub? That should be more than enough to fill it.

Super Contributor

30 gallons is standard for an apartment. Remember ,you don't use ONLY hot water when you fill up a tub, you MIX the water, so 30 gallons of HOT will probably make 50 gallons of bath temperature water. You can always turn up the thermostat in the Water Heater too, so it's hotter, and you use less of it...
Honored Contributor

R & R, sorry your week has not gone so well, but hope you are back in your home very soon. There's just no place like home!

Yes, it has been a good week for me and my family. Mom's follow-up doctor's appointment went better than expected, my husband and daughter had a safe trip to and from his out of state VA Medical Center appointment, I had a good medical checkup yesterday, and my younger daughter who drives a tractor trailer has not had to deal with any major storms in the area where she has delivered and picked up this week.

Respected Contributor

Be careful if you turn up the temperature of the hot water...burns and cost.

Honored Contributor

Hi RR&R,

Yep, pretty good week for us. Got a general contractor about ready to start work on our hail damage home, maybe next week. New roof/broken windows and all sorts of other damage. Beat up so bad they are replacing a lot of the siding and repainting the whole exterior of our house and outdoor shed.

Hope you get things fixed up in short order. Some companies that fix internal water damage use a vacuum type of machine to pick up the water and then some use a dehumidifying type of fan to remove the rest of the moisture. That is what was done when we had our basement full of water when a sillcock broke.

Take care now,

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Unless you have a really large bathtub, 30 gallons of hot water should be plenty. Depending on how old your previous water heater was, it may have had substantial buildup of scale on the interior that limited its capacity to well below 50 gallons anyway. You will likely see a substantial improvement in the amount of hot water available and it's temperature with the new hot water heater.
Respected Contributor

At least you don't have to buy it yourself! Where have you been staying during the repair? Take care and I hope you get back in soon.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

looks like our 15 year old BMW needs a new water pump.... probably going to cost with labor and tax about $1500. So the week ended badly......

Valued Contributor

1500 for a water pump, OMG! I'd be crying about that one. That's really expensive, is it because its a BMW?