Trusted Contributor

I just bought one, but there wasn't one free movie on 3 free channels that I was interested in watching. I tried the Crackle and the Pop channels.I don't want to pay for Hulu or Netflix, so I might be returning it.

Has anyone had a better experience?

Honored Contributor

I have some Roku3 units, but I use them for Netflix and Amazon Prime (paid services), so I don't know what all is free. Roku3 does have YouTube, though.

Roku3 is the best so far and offers more than the previous versions. From what I understand there are a lot of free channels but I am just not familiar with them. I pay $7.99 a month for Netflix, so it's not a wallet-breaker at all. I pay for Amazon Prime for the shipping, so this is just a plus.

If you are just going for what is free, your choices are probably a LOT more limited.

Honored Contributor

I have one, too. Admittedly, I got it because I wanted to watch an Internet only channel. My son has watched some other things using it, but I just stick with the one channel. Pitiful of me, I know....especially when I also have an Amazon Prime membership. I just don't watch that many movies, but should look into it more. I have explored other channels and some interest me. I just haven't taken the time to set up accounts. Plus, I don't want to do too many subscriptions as they could really add up.

Respected Contributor

I have one but I use it mostly for Netflix and Amazon. With Amazon you get the free shipping plus the movies and tv shows. I did Hulu also for a few months but cancelled because there was plenty to watch between Netflix and Amazon Prime. The only free channel I have used is the Pandora music one. I also feel like I may be missing out on something free but I am not sure of what channels to use.

It is definitely worth it to me just for using Netflix and Amazon. I've even considered dropping my cable but not sure I want to go that far yet.

Super Contributor

There is a lot of free content available out there. The problem with it, as you found, most of that is stuff I'm just not interested in! You can find spaghetti westerns, or some old movies nobody ever heard of. Lots of obscure documentaries, etc. Once in a while, Crackle will have something decent if you don't mind the ads. You can stream PBS shows, QVC, and other stuff if you look. But really, if you do not plan on getting a subscription to ANY of the paid plans, then Roku probably is not right for you.

I really love mine, but I have Netflix and Prime (though I am not going to renew Prime at the end of my current term since they raised the rate). There aren't a lot of new movies anymore, since I've watched most of them now, lol. But I'm happy going through the different TV shows I never saw when they were on the air.

QVC and HSN really need to do a better job explaining this when selling these units instead of talking about all the great free stuff there is, and how it replaces cable, blah blah. I just cringe whenever I hear that implied.

Honored Contributor

My son-in-law gave me something similar. I have over 100 movies downloaded on this thing. I don't watch them.

I have other stuff on them but with the other shows I watch I don't have time to watch the one's on this thing.

He takes the harddrive (I think it's called) and downloads more. I still don't have time to watch them.

I have a short attention span and most movies drives me crazy unless I go to the movies (which I often do).

Respected Contributor
On 10/11/2014 annabellethecat said:

My son-in-law gave me something similar. I have over 100 movies downloaded on this thing. I don't watch them.

I have other stuff on them but with the other shows I watch I don't have time to watch the one's on this thing.

He takes the harddrive (I think it's called) and downloads more. I still don't have time to watch them.

I have a short attention span and most movies drives me crazy unless I go to the movies (which I often do).

I have one I love it I gave up cable to me it was a waste of money when I mainly watch local stations and most of the stuff you wait a day and it is for free, or do A Prime, Netflix's which are all on Roku as well as the Q and H and my BYU TV, The Blaze TV and PBS, Amazon as well as Netflix is on there and so much more I arrange them so they are accessible first. I use the HULKUS for cable News on the computer but I hardly watch it anymore I just can only take in so much of the Brave New World.

Life is sweet and cheap!Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor
Best thing ever. I subscribe to Netflix for around $8 and there are infinite things to watch. I enjoy the British shows and movies. I could cancel my cable!
Honored Contributor

I gave my son-in-law back his and bought an Apple TV which is similar to a Roku.

He set it up for me along with something that makes tapes to DVD's and a Blue Ray player.

Can you believe I haven't watched any of them? I haven't had the time.

Honored Contributor

I just bought and my son in law hooked it up an Apple TV. I haven't had time to watch the thing. Between my DVR and TV I don't have time.