Contributor
What time do you out your kids to bed? I have a 5 yr old boy. We usually put him to bed about 930 and he wakes up a little before 8. I hear some parents put there kids yo bed at 7 or 8. I don't want to put to bed early he will be up at the crack of dawn and I don't want that.
Respected Contributor

Re: Bedtime for a 5 year old

Hi! My kids are adults now but theynnever really had a bedtime. Whenever and wherever they fell asleep was ok and there were never any bedtime struggles. I worked and still work full time and couldnt fathom getting home at 5:30 and only being able to spend 2 hours with my children after they were in daycare or school. Yes, i was tired but they had so much to tell me that imjust could not break their hearts and not play with them or listen to their stories. They usually fell asleep around 10 and they were just fine for school and daycare. Today, we are all very close and they still tell me their stories, which i love??
Esteemed Contributor

Mine would get up at the crack of dawn no matter when bed time was, so I tried to put to bed around 8:00. I guess it depends on the child.
Valued Contributor

Kids here in bed by 8:30-ish. 99 days out of 100, asleep by or before 9:30. Preschoolers. Up by about 6:45.

Respected Contributor

Thats funny wildcat...mine would wake at crack of dawn on weekends when we could sleep in! They knew mom didnt have to go to work!
Honored Contributor

Before I retired a couple years ago..........my co-workers ALL let their kids go to bed when they wanted to. I really never got the concept...........but none of them seemed to have any rules.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

When I grew up, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I went to bed when my parents did--and that was about 9:30 to 10:30. I have always been a night owl and they said I was back then. I think some people sleep a lot, some don't and we come pre-wired that way!

Honored Contributor

5 year old.....somewhere between 8 and 9pm.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Sooner that is true. My kids were night owls and still are. I am as well, usually turning in around 12:30 am and i have no problem rolling out at 7. My parents are in their 90s and they are still up at 11:00 catching the news!
Trusted Contributor

It sounds like what you're doing is fine. I had my daughter on a late schedule as I'm a night owl and didn't want to be up at the crack of doom every day. I got some looks when we would be out at the grocery store later in the evening, but that's okay. It suited my life at the time and she adjusted just fine when school came. She is however now a teenager and is very much a night owl. Nature or nurture? I don't know. I think your bedtime seems reasonable though and shouldn't "raise eyebrows". Do what works for you.