Regular Contributor
The decorations are all down this past Friday and the house looks so bare. This is the first weekend of the new year and its so quiet. From the time Thanksgiving arrives we are on extra steam with shopping, baking, wrapping,and all the get togethers and now Bang.Quiet. I am now sitting in the kitchen reading paper with cup of coffee and feeling a little blue. Have no desire to think of cooking dinner(I m am cooked out from the holidays).Guess it's time to start cleaning out closets and reorganization. Probably will tell my husband it's time to paint some of the rooms. We do have our children and grandchildren near us so that is a positive. Guess when you reach a certain age things are different. We don't have that hussel of a house full of children making noise and needing us that much.Guess I needed to write my feelings. We have our health happy home and family. Happy New Year.
Esteemed Contributor

I understand how you feel. Our decorations are still up inside. I dread taking them down and how blah the house will look.

Trusted Contributor

I've got the post holiday blues because I have to return to work tomorrow after being on vacation for two weeks - ugh! What makes it worse is my husband retired last year (he was a teacher) so he doesn't have to return to school - lucky dog!

I agree that sometimes all of the hub bub of the holiday then creates a bit of let down after it's all over. My decorations are halfway taken down - the house is a mess - and so I have that to look forward to finishing either in the evenings or on the upcoming weekend(s). NOT looking forward to that at all!

Oh well, it's back to the reality of the 8-5 workday tomorrow!

Valued Contributor

I always go through withdrawal after the decorations come down. I find January to be the hardest month of the year. After January passes, things seem to look to better.

Respected Contributor

You are not alone. After the holidays it seems like there is a long, cold, dark winter ahead. I agree that January is a tough month to get through. I look forward to Groundhog Day (oddly enough) because that means winter is half over and the days are getting longer. Hang in there, you will survive.

Esteemed Contributor

Can relate to piperbay and shopgirl. Things seem to look better on February 1. I'm telling myself this as I return to work after 2 weeks of closed campus.

Sounds like you're grateful, tish, you're just down in the mullygrubs a bit (my Arkansas MIL's words for the mild blues). Our decorations are packed up, but we'll leave 'winter city,' our lighted village, up at the request of our grandson. Since he is the mayor of 'Winter City,' we'll take it down after harsh winter is over. That made me feel better. Hope you can find something to make you smile and perk you up this week.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor
Is so dark and snowy today, (sigh) I had to hang some things from my "odds and ends home decor pile" to fill the blank wall where the tree was /:
Super Contributor
My tree is still up, I keep it up each year until after the 10th of Jan. My daughter, although grown now, has always wanted it up through her Birthday. After it comes down, wait for Groundhog Day, then St. Patrick's Day and finally Easter. Each focus gets me closer to Spring. In NJ we need to look for help getting to Spring, especially after last winter. I know a "biggie" for me is buying Daffodil flowers for my kitchen table. They are sold as cut stems and they really help me get to Spring. They are not sold yet but I will be getting them when available. Little things help getting me through winter. I find as I get older I need more help though. THINK SPRING.
Respected Contributor

The hustle and bustle of the holidays are over. We really enjoyed the holidays this year, it all went well from Thanksgivng through New Years, no drama, and I am grateful for that. My DH likes the decorations to come down ASAP, so I can only hold him back until Jan. 2, so they're all down and put away. That being said, I really don't like January & February much, it seems cold and bleak after the holidays and I just look ahead to March. It's snowing right now and while it's so pretty to look at I had to cancel my training session with my trainer as the roads look bad and then I'll have to go out and shovel the driveway, that was not in my plan for the day but if it gets colder and freezes my driveway will be a mess and DH will have an even harder time trying to get it clear. Like I said, I'm just thinking about March.

Honored Contributor

and Tish, it'll all roll around before you know it, again. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}