Honored Contributor

Surprising Your Children with Christmas Gifts

I like surprises at Christmas, and I like to surprise my loved ones. Somehow until now I've always been able to surprise my children. My mom was the same way. When I was "old enough" I would help her set out the presents late Christmas Eve after my dad and my brother had gone to bed. Then I would look at the finished product and go to bed myself. Christmas morning there would always be one or two presents that weren't there when we finished the night before!

DD has wanted to go to a concert since September. She tried to get tickets with some of her friends but couldn't. One of her other friend's boyfriends got tickets for the two of them and family members they're close to. DD kept trying and finally gave up. I tried too, and the ones that were available were just too expensive. So she stopped talking about it and "let it go." One day about a month ago they opened up another show. I found out about it right away and got really good seats. That was going to be her Christmas surprise. I was planning to wrap them in a sweater box. Today she called me with a "guess what?" Her friend's boyfriend texted her (DD) and said one of the relatives couldn't go and would she be interested. She said of course, and to let her know how much. He texted back and said it was her Christmas gift from them!

I told her tonight that was really sweet of him to do. Then I told her about the other tickets. She felt terrible. I told her not to - she can sell them and use the money. She wants to go to both shows!

I'm sad because there went my big surprise. She will know the other gifts she's getting. Oh well. There's always next year! Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Surprising Your Children with Christmas Gifts

Oh heck, just buy her a red Mustang and you're good again. Just Kidding!

That was awesome you went the extra mile for her and how it all turned out.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Honored Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Lucky charm said:

Oh heck, just buy her a red Mustang and you're good again. Just Kidding!

That was awesome you went the extra mile for her and how it all turned out.

Have a Merry Christmas!

LOL! You too Lucky charm! Smile

Valued Contributor

Don't feel bad, if she likes it she will enjoy it twice as much. It has already started with my young gd's. I was told by dil a few items and told her I got them. They also received from their other gm. I'm not going to sweat it. Enjoy the holidays and your daughter, she knows what you tried to do.

Honored Contributor

That can be so disappointing, when you have just the right thing, then something like that happens.

She is a girl, so my guess is that if she doesn't get in right now, she will in a few years, that what you did was so cool and so thoughtful. She will always remember it, and your gift will be even more special to her, when she remembers not only what you tried to do, but the nice way you handled yourself and your disappointment in the years to come. My mother would have turned it all upside down, and made me feel guilty in a situation like that, that her surprise had been ruined.

Honored Contributor

I hate Christmas surprises because you are usually ""surprised"" because it is ""something you would have never thought of"" or ""something you wouldn't get for yourself."" I think very often ""surprises"" often backfire for a lot of reasons.

Honored Contributor

I guess it depends on who it's about.

If it's about you - yeah, bummer. I can imagine how disappointed you would be.

If it's about the gift recipient - she got what she wanted so much, so she's a happy girl. either way.

Esteemed Contributor

beach mom, you still surprised your daughter. She has to love your gesture and hopefully profits from last-minute ticket sales. Grown children are difficult to surprise.

This was the first time in years we've been able to surprise my son since he generally asks for money or specific certs - but we did it! Nice feeling.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau