Honored Contributor

My niece has invited me and my three daughters and their kids to her house for Thanksgiving (two hours drive). One daughter and I want to accept her invitation. She has a wonderful large house that can accommodate all of her relatives and all of her husband's relatives. One of my other daughters has just been diagnosed with Lyme after over a year of illness and doesn't know if she will be up to it or not. Understandable. However, my third daughter's two children (both girls, ages 12 and 14) won't go if their cousin (19-year-old daughter of my sick daughter) doesn't go, because they feel like they don't know anyone up there and will be uncomfortable and/or bored. So my third daughter will only go if my sick daughter's 19-year-old daughter is going to go, in what seems to be an effort to please her two daughters (obviously these are all my granddaughters).

My beloved sister died three years ago. My niece and I talk often because she and I miss my sister/her mother so much. However, we only see each other maybe once a year, and in the past it has usually been Thanksgiving. I and my one daughter really want to go. My third daughter wants our little family to stay here because of the wishes of her two daughters who want to be with their cousin (who may well be working, or going to her father's for all we know). Plus we will be seeing them this weekend and also on Christmas. My only chance of to see my niece will be Thanksgiving.

I don't like the idea that my two granddaughters are pretty much dictating what the family should do and that this is acceptable to their mother, my third daughter. And I have to say it's a little disturbing that they are making this all about my 19-year-old granddaughter, and the fact that I'm their grandma and my other daughter is their aunt is not good enough for them to want to accompany us. I know how teenagers are . . . I raised four of them. But in those days they went where I said we were going, they didn't make the decision, I did (and most of the time I was the one who had Thanksgiving).

So somebody's going to be upset no matter what we do. My niece will be very understanding and sweet about it if we decide to stay here, but I know she will be disappointed. My third daughter will probably be resentful if my one daughter and I choose to go to my niece's house.

I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I am sorry your daughter is ill. I would stay home for her. Traveling is exhausting and she may feel well Thanskgiving and 4 hours of travel and being around lots of people could easily change that.

Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 Iwantcoffee said:

I am sorry your daughter is ill. I would stay home for her. Traveling is exhausting and she may feel well Thanskgiving and 4 hours of travel and being around lots of people could easily change that.

She's been on doxycycline for several days now. Thanksgiving is still a month away. I am hoping she will be feeling better by then. Of course, if she is not, we will all stay home, and my niece already knows that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
No answers Ford, I'm in the midst of one of these myself, but I'm inclined to agree that if one of your daughters is newly diagnosed with Lyme, the decision should be hers, without one speck of guilt for whatever you all decide. Hope you all can enjoy your Thanksgivng, wherever it turns out to be!
Honored Contributor

Why should anyone be upset? It's just Thanksgiving, there are no rules that say the entire extended family MUST be together on that day. You see a problem where no problem exists. If the daughter who isn't feeling well stays home for the holiday, there's no reason why her daughter and the two cousins can't stay home and have dinner with her. It's actually lovely idea, the girls can all cook the dinner together and the younger ones can do the clean up. You and your other two daughters (or is it just one?) can go visit and celebrate with your niece. I'm sure your niece will understand that such a long drive would likely be tiring for the one who isn't feeling well and she'll understand that younger girls opted to stay home with her. There will be many, many other Thanksgivings to come when the entire clan can gather together.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/30/2014 chrystaltree said:

Why should anyone be upset? It's just Thanksgiving, there are no rules that say the entire extended family MUST be together on that day. You see a problem where no problem exists. If the daughter who isn't feeling well stays home for the holiday, there's no reason why her daughter and the two cousins can't stay home and have dinner with her. It's actually lovely idea, the girls can all cook the dinner together and the younger ones can do the clean up. You and your other two daughters (or is it just one?) can go visit and celebrate with your niece. I'm sure your niece will understand that such a long drive would likely be tiring for the one who isn't feeling well and she'll understand that younger girls opted to stay home with her. There will be many, many other Thanksgivings to come when the entire clan can gather together.

Well said. I'll never understand why people create problems or "dilemmas" when one doesn't exist. I am part of an extremely tight family but really, think about it, enjoy your time with those that can make it, period! Problem (dilemma) solved.

Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 violann said: No answers Ford, I'm in the midst of one of these myself, but I'm inclined to agree that if one of your daughters is newly diagnosed with Lyme, the decision should be hers, without one speck of guilt for whatever you all decide. Hope you all can enjoy your Thanksgivng, wherever it turns out to be!

Of course if she is still this ill, that will change everything. She probably won't participate no matter where we gather.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine declining your niece's invitation. It was very kind and thoughtful of her to invite everyone. If one daughter is not feeling well, she can stay home. I'm sure she doesn't have someone staying with her around the clock. If I were her, I would certainly want my mother to go and enjoy the holiday. You don't know if you will ever have this opportunity again. I would go and have a nice time, I'm sure your niece will understand if you don't want stay real long.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for allowing me to see there is no problem at all. Certainly not a dilemma, and nothing I should be fretting over. It's just another day, no different than any other. In fact, I have seen more discussion over someone not getting a thank you card.

I appreciate your thoughts and I will immediately stop worrying about this insignificant issue.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 RetRN said:

I can't imagine declining your niece's invitation. It was very kind and thoughtful of her to invite everyone. If one daughter is not feeling well, she can stay home. I'm sure she doesn't have someone staying with her around the clock. If I were her, I would certainly want my mother to go and enjoy the holiday. You don't know if you will ever have this opportunity again. I would go and have a nice time, I'm sure your niece will understand if you don't want stay real long.

Thanks for the positive post. I appreciate it.

And you hit the nail on the head as to how many Thanksgivings, Christmases, birthdays, etc. I will have in my future. But that is no matter . . . it is still absolutely insignificant to some who are not 76. I don't want to be hurtful or create unhappiness to anyone in my life at this stage of the game.

Formerly Ford1224