Super Contributor

Who Gets Holiday Gifts From YOU??

Every year, I laugh at the list of folks HSN and QVC sales people rattle off, saying You need to buy for the mailman, the UPS guy, your child's gymnastics coaches, blah, blah, blah.

But this year.......maybe because both stations have begun the Christmas season even EARLIER than ever, and are more manic than ever about rattling off the list of gift recipients, I'm just OVER IT. No more watching either channel til after 12/25.

Just curious, tho.....who DO you routinely buy for?

When the kids were younger, I let them pick a SMALL, token gift for their teachers, and I wrote (and later, they added their words) a small note thanking them for their service, etc.

Here's my list of those I'm buying for this year:

my 3 sons

my mom & her husband

my brother & his wife (usually a combined gift)

my brother's 3 adult kids

What about you? Do you need 48 mini flashlights, or hand cream tubes, or (please say NO to this one) -- anti-poop-smelling spritz bottles??

Super Contributor

Re: Who Gets Holiday Gifts From YOU??

Nobody buys anyone gifts??

Honored Contributor

We buy for 2 adult children, 1 married granddaughter, 1 teen and 1 6 year old..that's it. DH and quit buying for each other a long time ago.

Honored Contributor

Mostly the grandkids.

Trusted Contributor

Husband, two kiddies, two kitties - two sisters, brother and sister in law, 4 nieces, four nephews, in laws and five employees. I think that's it. A lot but we do enjoy it. We've been talking about just buying for the kids but I just enjoy shopping for everyone. It's only once a year and we don't spend more than we can afford.
Regular Contributor

I tell my family and close friends the best gift they can give me is to take excellent care of themselves!
Super Contributor

step grandchildren, step children, nieces and nephews under 21. We have an agreement in our family not to buy for the adults- everyone works full time and they can buy what they want. My husband and I both have birthdays in January, so we get gifts for each other at that time. The present we sort of give each other is going to a holiday show and out to dinner right after Thanksgiving- last year's production of It's a Wonderful Life was fantastic. This year's show is A Christmas Carol. I can't wait - we get all dressed up and soak up every second of the show.

Honored Contributor

I give Christmas gifts to: Husband - Sister -Brother & his wife - one niece - one nephew & his wife. Glad we don't have to buy for DH's family as there are way too many of them.

Super Contributor

I buy gifts for my grown daughter. My husband and I don't exchange gifts.
Honored Contributor

In addition to the "regulars" (kid, hubby,mom) I do have several people in my life that I like to occasionally gift small things. One year, I had a lot of health issues and the folks at my dentist office worked with easing my pain and fears, so I gifted my hygienist a pretty insulated grocery tote.

One year, we had lots of trying times at the vet with very sick dog, and for the holidays, we took up a huge fruit basket and bagel and cream cheese tray from a local eatery. Another year I did up a huge array of homemade candy and cookies. Both gifts were well received, and covered about 20 people who work there.

Our substitute mail lady is the best. My elderly mom lives next door to me, and she leaves her little notes, visits with her when she is outside at delivery time, and goes out of her way to make sure our packages are covered and safe. We just love her. Last year I got her a beautiful handmade basket filled with expensive winter themed dish towels and soaps, all tied up with pretty bows.

My mom took her primary care doctor a set of the poo pourie (sp?) for the office (and I don't get why everyone criticizes this stuff, especially in a public or work/office environment, it is really needed!).

Over time, there have been others that aren't in my regular gift group that I like to remember with a little something, and many of the little things Q sells are useful for just that. I even like those little flashlights. Everyone needs one of those in the car or purse or bedside table.