Respected Contributor

My 27 year old daughter has been diagnosed with spondyloarthritis, a type of arthritis that originates in the spine. Fortunately, she doesn't have back issues at this time.

But, she has a lot of knee and ankle pain, as well as plantar fasciitis (which can be part of this disorder). She is seeing a rheumatologist, and is on her second medication regime.

She has a part-time job in a fast food restaurant, and her manager is not sympathetic at all to her pain! She got a doctor note asking she be allowed to sit for a minute or two if there are not customers. Her manager now tells her she has to clock in and out for that time. She has developed limping, and the woman hassles her about it. Says it looks bad to the customers. How sweet!

Even if your child is an adult, it hurts so much to see them in pain. She can hardly walk up the stairs. I can tell she is in pain all the time. She has Asperger's Syndrome, and has been through enough hel* in her young life.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry. When your child is in pain, no matter the age, you are in pain. Is she going to try and find another job??

Frequent Contributor

So sorry. The obvious first step is she needs to find another job. Preferably something where she's not on her feet all day. I know, easier said than done. But she needs to be working toward that end.

Next, try some joint formula supplements. I just ordered Andrew Lessman's Maximum Joint Effort from HSN. I know nothing about your DD's specific ailment but I think this would be worth a try.

And a topical that I'm going to try based on radio talk show host recommendations is SalonPas. Available at Walmart.

Hope she finds some relief. I hate that she's suffering so much at such a young age.

Respected Contributor

Yes, she is trying to find another job.

She has a degree in graphic design, but there are few jobs out there these days.

It's really hard to give up ANY job unless you have another lined up.

She probably qualifies for disability, but I don't think it's the greatest idea for someone starting out.

I told her not every boss is as nasty as the one she has now. Hopefully, everyone else will be a breeze for her!

Hyacinth

Frequent Contributor

Would there be any chance of finding a different job in a company she would like to work for in her chosen field and then work her way up?

Respected Contributor

My heart aches for you. Your whole family must be suffering along with your daughter's health issues. So very, very sorry; she's so young. Do you ever wish it were you, not her?

Trusted Contributor

Disability doesn't have to be a end in itself, but a means to an end. It could give her the time to develop more skills or stabilize physically and utilize a job developer that is geared to helping the disabled become productively employed (most state employment offices have them). Besides, you can work (minimally) while getting disability and they have a program to transition back to work.

Has she used her college alumni association to assist her in finding work? She needs to get out of that job and into one more suitable to her abilities and talents.

Esteemed Contributor
I am so sorry. Maybe consider getting her on a biologic like humira. It has done woners for my psoriatric arthritis. It has to be hard to see her in pain.
Respected Contributor
Oh my, I am REALLY sorry for your daughter's pain! I don't understand the less than sympathetic attitude of her employer. I wish she could find some type of office job, even if it's not exactly in her field. Somewhere where she could sit, work at a computer, file, etc. Somewhere FOR NOW until she finds the graphic design job. And be treated WITH RESPECT. You mentioned she has Aspergers as well. Where I live, there are various organizations that do not discourage hiring people who have special needs (for lack of a better term). Example: there is one organization that helps low income people find housing and support, runs Head Start, etc. They look for office help from time to time. Or, colleges, especially community colleges, that have student services programs for students with disabilities. They need office and clerical help. They tend to be more proactive in.hiring a diverse group of people. When I was a counselor for an program like this at a college, we hired and encouraged a diverse number of people to apply. Our office admin asst had schizophrenia..controlled with meds. I'm not trying to put your daughter in a category, or discount her talents and skills AT ALL. I think she is a highly intelligent, talented, productive individual. I just think she should try searching for jobs with organizations who would be more in tune with her physical and emotional needs. I hate to see anyone suffer or be demeaned. Maybe I'm telling you things you've already thought of...I.just wanted to add my voice for support. ETA: I mentioned my former admin asst NOT to compare with your daughter. ONLY as an example of how there are lots of jobs where employers value the talents and skills people have, and do not focus on their struggles. I just want to make that clear, because too many things get misinterpreted on these threads and I want my intent to be clear. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I feel so deeply for both of you... that would be so hard.

I like NYwoman's post #6. It is a good idea for her to work with people authorized to help with disabillity (I am thinking) now, at a younger age... hopefully, working with these agencies can more fully prepare for life to come. Perhaps these agencies have the means to locate jobs that will utilize her graphic design skills. She might have a more satisfying career in the long run. Good luck...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~