Valued Contributor

?? Help children in the USA for the holidays and......

...........all year? Many many children in the USA don't have food for every meal or school supplies, decent clothes or any holiday gifts. It's a big problem.

Our community group wants to be active in helping these children this year and also as a project all thru the year every year but starting now for this year's holidays coming up.

So many charitable posters here I'm hoping some of you can direct me to programs you know of or maybe certain websites and I'll pass on the info to my group. TIA!

Smile
Honored Contributor

Re: ?? Help children in the USA for the holidays and......

Check out feedthechildren dot org

It's a $32 monthly commitment that helps less fortunate children right here in the USA.

Respected Contributor

Try your local school district. I just donated to my local elementary school for needy children. I met with the principal and the students are given school supplies and lunch.
Respected Contributor

I wanted to say it is a nice thing you are doing. Our children here in the USA need assistance.
Trusted Contributor

charitynavigator.org gives info on most charitable organizations. Great place to start.

Honored Contributor

Contact your local schools, radio, or TV stations to ask about local charities. My city has a "We Live Here, We Give Here" campaign and an annual event to raise as much as possible in 24-hours for local charities. The local NPR station has a "We Live Here, We Give Here" page and does a feature highlighting a different local charity each month.

Some of the charities I've seen highlighted on local TV and radio include:

- A Junior League group who provides bags full of meals and snacks for kids every Friday for a school where 96% of the kids would go hungry on weekends

- A group that provides mentors for children with incarcerated parents

- An organization that works with girls who want to get involved in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) activities

And yes, as Henderson said, check CharityNavigator.org to see how your charity rates in terms of money going towards overhead Vs money going to the cause, etc.

Honored Contributor

In an area near me they call it 'Christmas for Kids' the group does public activities that draw people and those people either give money or they bring an unwrapped gift. The organization starts its campaign in a few weeks and goes until about 2 weeks before Christmas. Every year they raise many, many thousands of dollars.

It is a huge effort....and give less fortunate children in the area a Christmas.

Respected Contributor

I've heard the Salvation Army is a charity that spends much of their donations on charity rather than themselves. I'm not sure what they do for children specifically.

Honored Contributor

Many churches help children with food, etc. and gifts at Christmastime.

Valued Contributor

My computer's all messed up so I'll post quick hope I'll be back later.

Thanks for the great ideas everybody!! !!!