Super Contributor

Not good. Right?

Honored Contributor
I don't know how this is viewed now, but when my children were small (more than 35 years ago), fluoride was very important to their teeth. Because we had well water, my girls received fluoride treatments at their dental visits. Dentists always told my brothers and I that our teeth would've been in better shape if we'd had fluoride treatments, or fluoridated water when we were younger.
Honored Contributor

There are a lot of conspiracies about fluoridated water, but I don't believe them. The science doesn't back the theories up. My sister and I had fluoride drops when we were kids and then fluoride in the water. We both made it into adulthood before ever getting a cavity and both of us have higher than average IQs. One of the conspiracy theories is so crazy that some people think that fluoride makes African American people violent. That's just not scientifically accurate.

Consult your dentist and your pediatrician and decide for yourself, but I am pro-fluoridated water.

Honored Contributor
My sister and I inherited bad teeth. We had extra fluoride treatments every 6 months when we had an exam. I had treatment regularly as an adult. I continue with the use of prescription fluoride toothpaste to this day. When I use it daily, I have no cavities, when I don't use it I do. I absolutely believe all water ought to be fluiornated.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

10 Facts About Fluoride

By Dr. Mercola

If fluoride is really the panacea for dental disease that it’s been portrayed as, then why is it that the United States is one of the only developed countries that fluoridates their citizens’ drinking water?

Hint: It’s not because the other countries aren’t aware of fluoride’s supposed “miracle” powers for your teeth … it’s because they fully realize that adding a known poison to your population’s water supply is probably not a good idea.

Remainder here:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/30/water-fluoridation-facts.aspx

Honored Contributor

From the EPA

Exposure to excessive consumption of fluoride over a lifetime may lead to increased likelihood of bone fractures in adults, and may result in effects on bone leading to pain and tenderness. Children aged 8 years and younger exposed to excessive amounts of fluoride have an increased chance of developing pits in the tooth enamel, along with a range of cosmetic effects to teeth.

In 1974, Congress passed the Safe Drinking Water Act. This law requires EPA to determine the level of contaminants in drinking water at which no adverse health effects are likely to occur. These non-enforceable health goals, based solely on possible health risks and exposure over a lifetime with an adequate margin of safety, are called maximum contaminant level goals (MCLG). Contaminants are any physical, chemical, biological or radiological substances or matter in water.

The MCLG for fluoride is 4.0 mg/L or 4.0 ppm. EPA has set this level of protection based on the best available science to prevent potential health problems. EPA has set an enforceable regulation for fluoride, called a maximum contaminant level (MCL), at 4.0 mg/L or 4.0 ppm. MCLs are set as close to the health goals as possible, considering cost, benefits and the ability of public water systems to detect and remove contaminants using suitable treatment technologies. In this case, the MCL equals the MCLG, because analytical methods or treatment technology do not pose any limitation.

EPA has also set a secondary standard (SMCL) for fluoride at 2.0 mg/L or 2.0 ppm. Secondary standards are non-enforceable guidelines regulating contaminants that may cause cosmetic effects (such as skin or tooth discoloration) or aesthetic effects (such as taste, odor, or color) in drinking water. EPA recommends secondary standards to water systems but does not require systems to comply. However, states may choose to adopt them as enforceable standards. Tooth discoloration and/or pitting is caused by excess fluoride exposures during the formative period prior to eruption of the teeth in children. The secondary standard of 2.0 mg/L is intended as a guideline for an upper bound level in areas which have high levels of naturally occurring fluoride. The level of the SMCL was set based upon a balancing of the beneficial effects of protection from tooth decay and the undesirable effects of excessive exposures leading to discoloration.

Fluoride is voluntarily added to some drinking water systems as a public health measure for reducing the incidence of cavities among the treated population. The decision to fluoridate a water supply is made by the s or local municipality, and is not mandated by EPA or any other Federal entity. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides recommendations about the optimal levels of fluoride in drinking water in order to prevent tooth decay.

States may set more stringent drinking water MCLGs and MCLs for fluoride than EPA.

The drinking water standards are currently under review. The Safe Drinking Water Act requires EPA to periodically review the national primary drinking water regulation for each contaminant and revise the regulation, if appropriate. In 2003 and as part of the first Six Year Review, EPA reviewed the drinking water standard for fluoride and found that new health and exposure data were available on orally ingested fluoride. EPA requested that the National Research Council (NRC) of the National Academies of Science (NAS) conduct a review of this data and in 2006, the NRC published their evaluation in a report entitled, Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. The NRC recommended that EPA update its fluoride risk assessment to include new data on health risks and better estimates of total exposure.

In March 2010 and as part of the second Six Year Review, the Agency indicated that the Office of Water was in the process of developing its health and exposure assessments to address the NRC's recommendations. The Agency finalized the risk and exposure assessments for fluoride in January 2011 and announced its intent to review the drinking water regulations for fluoride to determine whether revi....

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I drink water that contains no fluoride. My toothpaste does not contain fluoride.

Honored Contributor

Fluoridated water is unhealthy. It has nothing to do with one's age.

Honored Contributor
On 10/12/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I drink water that contains no fluoride. My toothpaste does not contain fluoride.

Same here.

Super Contributor
On 10/12/2014 willdob3 said:
On 10/12/2014 Lucky Charm said:

Same here.

Same here.