Honored Contributor

Letter from a Mom to her Daughter

From ABC - This is powerful :

Letter from a Mother to her Daughter:

My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through.

If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”… Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story… night after night until you would fall asleep.

When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl?

When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way… remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day…

The day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through.

If I occasionally lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you.

And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked.

When those days come, don’t feel sad… just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared.

With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you… my darling daughter.

Original Text in Spanish and Photo by Guillermo Peña.
Translation to English by Sergio Cadena

Honored Contributor

Re: Letter from a Mom to her Daughter

I am reading this through tears-its beautiful! Thank-you for posting!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 9/30/2014 JMFINLEY001 said:

I am reading this through tears-its beautiful! Thank-you for posting!!!!!!!!!

YW! My mom's been gone a while now, but I remember losing patience with her sometimes, and she really wasn't that old when she died. I wish now I'd had more patience. She had trouble walking sometimes, but get her to a mall to shop and her legs went faster than mine!

As for me, the technology part applies. I know my own kids lose patience when they're trying to show me something. Usually they just do it themselves. I keep telling them, "Show me HOW to do it; don't do it for me!" Smile

Honored Contributor

Going thru major aging issues with my Mom this could not of come at a more perfect time, I too am wiping away the tears as I read it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I too am moved to tears because I'm experiencing the same thing with my mom. We sometimes forget how much our mothers did for us and the sacrifices they made. Thanks so much for posting this. Did you get this from a certain site on the Internet?
Regular Contributor

I am the aging one! I am often perplexed by new technology, don't have an iphone when my flip phone is just fine. I don't text but will call whenever. I know that displeases my children but I really don't have the interest in texting. I would rather hear their voices and I don't need a photo of their latest meal or purchase. I am good with my laptop and e-mail. I get lovely photos of the track meet or soccer game. I have trouble getting to my phone in time and if it is not next to me, I get to hear my voice mail. I am not complaining and I do hope that my daughters will continue to have the patience with me as I age. The alternative is worse!

Regular Contributor

Wow, perfect timing. My mom is aging and I find myself getting a bit frustrated now and then....but then I remember that I can only WISH that my dad was still here for me to go through this with him. I'll take the forgetfulness, slower pace, and explaining the technology over and over again just to still have her here.

While my mom doesn't repeat herself much, I do remember the story she's told many times about her and her own grandmother. Her grandmother lived with them when my mom was a child and she used to get aggravated that her grandma told her the same thing time and time again. In response to that, her own mom (confusing, I know!) asked her what difference it made if her grandma asked her twenty different questions or the same question twenty times....no difference at all, she just wanted to talk. I try to remind myself of this as the elders in the family tell me the same thing...again... Someday I'll wish they were here to ask me that same darned question again.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but if I sent this letter to any of my loving daughters, they'd think I had lost it for sure.

(I mean no insult to those of you who found it moving.)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I loved this letter. I am saving it. Not appropriate for me right now, but someday I may send it to my daughter when the time comes. Hope I will remember I have it. Thanks for sharing.

Esteemed Contributor

Today, October 1st, is the fifth anniversary of my Mom's passing. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her. Reading this letter really made me cry. I was Mom's caregiver for over 10 years. The last year of her life she lived with my DH and I. There were times that I lost my patience with her. But I did my best to lovingly do as much as possible for her. She often used to thank me for all I did.... and my response was always "Mom. when I was growing up you took care of me. You never once complained. Now it's my turn to take care of you..and I do so with all my heart."