Respected Contributor

Teacher invents simple $70 device to keep classroom safe.

Image source: WGLC-TV

Edwards designed the Portable Affordable Lockdown System, also known as PALS. Running for about $70, it’s a steel rope encased in plastic that can be placed on a door handle and latched to the eye bolt of a classroom wall.

Read the story here.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/29/teacher-invents-simple-device-that-could-stop-a-gunman-a...

Honored Contributor

Re: Teacher invents simple $70 device to keep classroom safe.

Until they break the window in the door and turn the handle...

Super Contributor

When the locksmith came to our house to change our locks when we moved in, he said that burglars would much rather kick in the wood, than break security glass. Surely the glass in a classroom door is stronger than the glass in a Coke bottle?

Honored Contributor

On 8/30/2014 lolakimono said:

Until they break the window in the door and turn the handle... {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I think the windows in school room doors have a steel mesh in them so they don't break very easily, and even if they do you can't reach in. I also think that teacher's desks should have an alarm button , like bank tellers have - that would automatically call the police and sound an alarm.

Respected Contributor

Our school doors are lockable from the inside.

Honored Contributor

not sure the fire marshall would go for this

Respected Contributor

On 8/30/2014 lovesrecess said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Also, what if the "gunman" were inside the classroom? There have been times when it's been the student with the gun...in middle school, and even elementary.

During a mass panic, how long would it take the other students to escape with that device on the door? Or would they all be locked in like sitting ducks?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

As you can see the item opens with a lever. The person on the inside could be a small child and be able to get this off the O ring.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't think it is intended to be on the door at all times. If the school is in lockdown, then you would put it on, no? Not saying it would work...
Honored Contributor

On 8/30/2014 lovesrecess said:

ITA and also with

"Also, what if the "gunman" were inside the classroom? There have been times when it's been the student with the gun...in middle school, and even elementary.

During a mass panic, how long would it take the other students to escape with that device on the door? Or would they all be locked in like sitting ducks?
"

Nope, I wouldn't go for that thing at all.