Super Contributor

Need Advice on Special Baby Gift Please

My very dear niece is having her first baby in February after being told for years she couldn't conceive. I would love to give her really something special for the baby, but don't have a clue. Since we don't have children, I'm just used to the usual baby shower gifts for friends. I want this gift to be really great and memorable. Any ideas ladies? TIA.

Super Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Special Baby Gift Please

What a lovely aunt you are!

I love personalized things.....baby-sized throws their their name and birth date on it would be nice for a February baby. Cute blankets, throws, and tiny sweater & hat sets.

Here's a link to Things Remembered:

http://www.thingsremembered.com/catalog/search.cmd?currentIndex=0&pageSize=706&defaultPageSize=15&m...

Also, I've given a few of these:

but find that they tend to tarnish over time.

Esteemed Contributor

do you know anyone who could knit or crochet that could make a blanket for the baby...there is nothing like a personally made blanket/booties...sweater..for the newborn...

Respected Contributor

This would only be for families who celebrate Christmas; I've given this before & it was well received. A personalized Christmas ornament with the year 2015 on it. In some cases, the child's name can be engraved. I've given these in silverplate - Gorham, I think. Found at a dept store that went out of business here, but Macy's & similar would have them.

The 2nd most popular baby gift I've given is something I knit myself. Maybe that's not your area of expertise, but perhaps you know someone who does knit or crochet & you could pay them to make the item(s).

Good luck with your very thoughtful & generous gifting!

Honored Contributor

You know, a photo shoot with a professional photographer, possibly while she is still pregnant if there is time and then after with the baby and parents with some framed prints of their choosing would be a beautiful permanent record for them and their child.

From experience, the "stuff" is nice but it just gets ruined, out grown and given away general.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Budget? Does she live near you or must you ship the gift?

Honored Contributor

If you look on pintrest or etsy sorry not sure which site, you can have a pillow made with babys birth date and weight. They are custom made and I think they are very nice gifts....just go to the site and search baby gifts or pillows and hopefully they will come up....congrats on the new baby coming into the family.

Super Contributor

Loving the photo shoot and stock ideas. Keep em coming ladies!

Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:

Buy her some stock.

Set up a savings acct./college fund.

We have been thinking about this seriously.

Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:

Buy her some stock.

Set up a savings acct./college fund.

< ITA with this>