Regular Contributor
My grandson is almost 3 and won't use the potty. He cries when my daughter puts him on it. Any suggestions? What ages did your little boys start using the bathroom?
Honored Contributor

Hi~

I think every child is different and after 3 children, my first a boy, I realized no matter what you do, they end up being "trained" when they are ready! My son seemed to have gotten the hang of it before he was three, but we moved when he was three and he reverted back and had some "accidents". Soon after, however, he got the hang of it again, so maybe it was just the anxiety of change.

I pretty much learned (after the fact, I admit) not to worry about it. He was the first one to talk and the last to be accident free!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I was very lucky, my son was trained by 22 months. I put him on there one time, he just happened to do his biz on there and took to it. He was the only one in his preschool who was trained. I considered myself very lucky. Even my pediatrician was shocked when I took him for his 2 year visit and he had undies on. But every child has his strengths and weaknesses, my son had speech issues, so you just need to tough it out, but dont give up, keep trying and offer incentives.

Respected Contributor

Potty training - ugh. My mother always told me that my four sisters and I were all trained by our second birthday and that was the standard. I wrongly let that influence me and probably stressed way too much over my sons not being consistent until around 3-1/2. It's the one part of motherhood I wished that I could have paid someone else to deal with.

It's tough to deal with and I will be the first to admit that I made mistakes therefore have no advice to share. You WILL get through this, that's all I can say!

Respected Contributor

2 years 9 months, but every child is different. Your daughter should back off for now because no good can come of the crying and forcing him to sit on the potty. She needs to relax and give it a couple more months. Assure her that he won't be in diapers forever. When he seems more interested, maybe dad or another male could help.

Esteemed Contributor

Is he being trained to stand up for number one and whiz in the toilet? Or is he sat down for everything? Does he watch daddy? I agree with the others. Don't push it and don't stress. He'll do it when he's ready.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I think my son was 3 years old when he was fully potty trained. I stressed and stressed over it but he was not interested. In fact when other kids at his daycare would say to him they went to the bathroom by themselves he would say "so what, my mom said I can pee in my pull-up if I want to" (by the way I did not say that....), but anywho he went to the potty when he was ready. All kids are different and I had to keep telling myself not to judge him by what other kids are doing. I would stress to anyone who would listen that he would not go to the potty, finally my supervisor gave me the best answer. She said her pediatrician told her not to worry, he can guarantee that he won't be wearing diapers when he went to college. After that I stopped stressing and let my son progress as he chose to. Don't fret your grandson will go when he is ready.

Valued Contributor

Not sure about boys but my daughter was two but her daughter fully potty trained at 4. She had trouble with #2 and it scared her. Just had to work with her and try and find solutions and finally I can say no accidents and goes when she has too. Took forever and I stressed over it but you also have to work with them on a regular basis. Both parents work 2nd and we watch her and doing our part but they needed to do their part. I said no more diapers at our house and if she does it in her pants so be it.

More water and more fruit in her diet too. It as difficult for her to go and scared her too. She would go and then not go in the potty again and kind of on and off but I have to say all under control.

I guess the main thing is not to worry about it and it will happen and patience and keep at it.

Respected Contributor

My children didn't use the potty until they were both a little over 3 years of age. I didn't push it and when they were ready, they just used the potty, it was easy and not stressful at all. They also didn't have accidents when we were out since it might take a few minutes to find a restroom and they had the control to "hold it" until I got them to the bathroom. Until my children reached middle school age I thought they were a breeze to raise. They were good eaters, sleepers, etc. I kept them on a schedule though, children do better with a schedule. It's the middle school and hjgh school years that were tricky. They're 28 & 24 and great adults. It's easy again, yeah!

Respected Contributor

My grandson wasn't potty trained 'til 3.5. If your grandson hasn't already transitioned to pull-ups I'd start using them pronto. Then introduce regular underpants. Especially ones with cartoon characters that he loves. My grandson's preschool teacher suggested the underpants. Once he started wearing those he seemed to understand he HAD to go potty. Good luck - he'll get there - they all do. I think sometimes it's just a control issue - and they refuse to be controlled.