Contributor
I read the first thread about kiddos leaving for college. My youngest grand reports in on August 3rd. She won an awesome soccer scholarship. School is small,just what she wanted. But it is about seven hrs. away from here. I have been buying stuff for her dorm room since Jan. My daughter is starting to freak now!! And I think gd is getting sorta concerned too! My question... is there anything that you experienced moms can think of that she might need to make her home away from home ,well more homey?? Or something's that you and your children found really usefull??? Thanks!!!
Honored Contributor

probably the best advice is for her mother is to stop freaking because it is obviously affecting her daughter.

Best advice-- don't take too much.

Depending on where she is going, chances are there is a store where she can buy what she needs, or can easily order it.

Contributor
Reassure your daughter that you know that she will do just fine. And Mom... have faith that you did a great job raising her to make good choices. One thing I found is that the first week on campus is the most difficult. There is a lot of adjusting to a new situation. She'll probably feel like she is in a constant state of change and without the routine of classes the dorms can be a bit wild. Remind her that she can call and discuss "anything" with you and you will "listen" and offer support. It really helps to counter balance the negative side of peer pressure. Reassure her that what she says to you, will not be shared with others ... and keep that promise. Don't call her everyday. She needs to have new experiences, on her own. Yes, it going to be hard, very hard, but let her call you. (You will get to know her schedule and find a time, once a week, to chat during her free time.) You said that she is on a soccer scholarship, that's great! She will start her college experience with a coach and teammates to help her adjust to her new home way from home. The coach(s) and teammates will help her avoid the drinking and drugs that are rampant on campus. Yes, that is true. The colleges talk a good game about their drug and drink policies, but that is usually it ... just talk. Best wishes!!
Esteemed Contributor

One son is a college grad, the other will be a junior next month. Both lived exclusively on campus. Sorry, but you have probably already bought way too much for the dorm room. The room is likely SMALL and she will be sharing the space with someone! She will be fine, as she will meet good people right away- her soccer team. You and Mom need to get it together and be happy and supportive. (and stop shopping!)

Esteemed Contributor

The most important thing any son or daughter can do when they move into campus is to make friends immediately. Meet the students on the floor along with your roommate and go out to dinner or breakfast or whatever, that first day. The sooner they make friends, the more they will enjoy college and they will feel at home. Encourage them to stay on campus on the weekends, its the only way for them to feel comfortable in their new life. The students on a sports team have it easier since they will be a member of the group right away.

Honored Contributor

Food!

Contributor
Lol on the food comment!!!We have her a stash of favorites in case we can't find them readily!!It is a small Babtist college. She has been to Europe twice once for 2 weeks and this summer for3 weeks. This kid has her head on her shoulders and I know she and her mom will be fine!! Shehas been exposed to alchol and can't stand the taste!! She knows not to accept drinks at parties,etc. In fact,she isn't a 'party' type girl. Very athletic, but can be girly! She had a junior black belt in tae Kune do (sp). She would be some guys worst nightmare if truly mad!! She can take down her older brother who is a 3degree black belt! It takes her a bit and she has to catch him unaware but can do it. So we arnt too concerned about her safety ,as we think she can defend herself until help comes. It is a small campus and they haven't had and assaults ! The first night there is a team meeting and she is a goal oriented girl!! Otherwise she wouldn't be where she is! I probally have bought too much but I wanted her to be comfortable.! I kept telling her homeless people have more stuff that they tote!! I know that is wrong, but I wanted her to have a comfy place. Those dorm rooms are probally worse than those that some fed prisoners live I !! Lol I was just hoping that I could find a surprise to send along that would make life fun for her. Thanks for the advice though!!
Contributor
Sorry if that was hard to read, on IPad and it turns out like that on the Q!!!
Super Contributor

Dorm rooms are often TINY!!! She can always ADD stuff, hard to get stuff back home if she's overloading to begin with.

Everything being online now, she can order from Walmart, etc. if there isn't one close or if she doesn't have a car on campus, or campus is too far from Mom.

Contributor
The campus is about a 7 hr. drive.her room actually has a fairly large closet considering it is shared by 2 girls. When I spoke of buying stuff, I meant her bedding,towels and such. So quite a bit won't actually need to be stored.i found an awesome site DormCo, 2.99 nipping no matter what. I bought most of her bedding from them. A mattress topper that is almost as thick asthe college mattress is. It is shrink wrapped and all her 3sets of sheets, 8 towels,comforter,toweling robe are shrinked into 1 bag. Her dad is leaving her his pickup and dd is driving her in her car. Her soccer team is hitting the ground running so I just wanted her to not have to shop. The closest bb&b about hour&half awway. But there is a walmart. Her folks will only have a coupla hrs. to help her get organized. Once again, I just wanted some fun ideas !!! Her 18th birthday is the 8th and it will be the first one I will miss!! IHAVE her gift cards ready, just wanted a surprise for her!!