Super Contributor

Estate sale all my mother's things

We are having a huge four day estate sale of all my mother's things this week. She had so much stuff there is no way we could keep it all. There are enough antiques dishes and furniture to open a store. It is making me so sad to sell it all. She loved it all but there is just so much stuff. It's very hard.
Respected Contributor

Re: Estate sale all my mother's things

I'm sorry that you are having to go through this.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/21/2014 carlycat said: We are having a huge four day estate sale of all my mother's things this week. She had so much stuff there is no way we could keep it all. There are enough antiques dishes and furniture to open a store. It is making me so sad to sell it all. She loved it all but there is just so much stuff. It's very hard.

I know why you say it is hard. My parents have a large house full of stuff. Some wonderful items. The problem is it too much stuff. I am hoping that so many of the family take it so we don't have to sell it or give it away. I am Executor so I am not looking forward to that time obviously.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

We did the same. My sisters, brother and I each chose a few things we wanted to keep and let the rest go. It's difficult but we can't hold on to everything
Super Contributor

@ennui1.... sometimes late at night when all is quiet at my house, I read your posts and have a little giggle out loud~

Thanks,

moongirl

Respected Contributor

A friend wisely suggested taking photos of everything. That way you will still be able to see the stuff of your memories without hanging onto all of it.

Super Contributor

I don't get what ennui is saying. Anyway, she had lived in her house for 30 years collecting antiques and art. It's jammed full of beautiful things. There Is no way we can keep it all. Some of it was her mother's. I've kept some. Just making me think about the passing of time and how we all pass on eventually. I did take some pictures, Desi. Good idea. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
Respected Contributor

Dear Carlycat,

That is the hardest part.....losing your loved one and the closest bond we have is to our mothers.

As daughters when that precious mother daughter bond is severed through the finality of death it is extremely painful to endure.

Second hardest is being the executrix and having to handle everything for the estate.

The sale of all furnishings and objects stored in the residence is always one of the hardest tasks which must be performed in all estate sales.

For those who do not have the space to keep everything they wish for, taking photo's and making an album will in time keep those precious sweet belongings in our active memories, and knowing all the items are now bringing comfort to others also makes it a bit easier too.

God Bless all who grieve, and I pray God offers his wisdom to all when facing this very sad painful dilemma.

Honored Contributor

I had a huge estate sale of my parents things after the death of my father 3 years ago. Sure my brother and I kept the things that meant the most to us but surprisingly selling off all of their remaining things really wasn't that difficult. It was kind of cathartic for my brother and myself. We walked around and explained and talked about the history of the items to the buyers. Everyone seemed so interested in its history. Met many wonderful people. Hope your sale goes as smooth.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

This would be hard. It was hard with my grandmother's things so I know it will be that much harder with my mother's things. I was so close to Grandma but have found that I still have so many good memories. You will always have your memories and I pray they will give you much comfort in the days ahead.