Frequent Contributor

HOW DO YOU REPLY WHEN SOMEONE SAYS "THANK YOU" ?

When someone says "Thank You" to you, how do you respond ? I have always said "You're welcome", but I have noticed that many people (usually young ) will reply by saying "No Problem". It may be my age, but I think that response is almost rude - I feel like saying - well I'm glad that I was not a problem. It seems everything and everybody in society had become so casual & relaxed. I am always pleased to hear someone actually say "Your Welcome". There are days when I feel as if I am turning into my Mother Smiley Happy I also still send hand written "thank you" notes when appropriate. When did it become acceptable to email or text a thank you note ?
Regular Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU REPLY WHEN SOMEONE SAYS ""THANK YOU"" ?

ITA - The "no problem" response bothers me too, however it seems to be pretty standard these days. I especially don't like it when a server at a restaurant says it or a clerk in a store. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way and I still write out thank you notes! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

Sometimes I say, "You're welcome.", other times I'll say "No problem".

It all depends on the situation.

It makes no difference to me one way or the other.

If the other person says "You're welcome", or "No problem", then at least my "Thank-you" was acknowledged.

As for texting or e-mailing a thank-you note, again, it depends on the situation.

If someone is picking up a gallon of milk for me at the store, yes, a quick "thank-you" via text or e-mail is fine.

If someone sent a gift, then a handwritten "thank-you" would be better.

But, either way, at least they sent you a thank-you, even if it was by text, or e-mail.

Some people don't even do that.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

I don't see any difference in ""You're welcome"" and ""No problem."" Both are polite responses to a ""Thank You."" And I'm REALLY old. And picky about things like this.

Super Contributor

I am more traditional as well...I say "You're welcome." I tend to think that manners are a lot harder to find these days! I have encountered two brides and one mother-to-be in the past couple of years who NEVER sent any kind of acknowledgement of gifts I had given...not in person or in a thank-you note. I think that is so tacky. With birthday gifts, I don't expect a thank-you note as much, but for weddings and baby showers, I think the recipient should be gracious enough to take the time to say "thank you" in a note.
Trusted Contributor

I'm old school, so I say "you're welcome". I've noticed the common "no problem" response from younger people too. I guess times and customs change. I consider the response to be well-intended, so I don't waste energy being offended. Being short-tempered and taking offense at every little slight or irregularity makes for an unpleasant life.

Respected Contributor

I do not like the "no problem", but I guess over the years I have gotten used to it and it does not bother me so much anymore.

I don't say it, though.

Frequent Contributor

ITA with the OP and also hand write thank-you's. I'm not sure if a text or email thank you or no thank you at all is worse? My 6 y/o has to hand write thank you's for every gift he receives!

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2014 jojo12 said:

ITA - The "no problem" response bothers me too, however it seems to be pretty standard these days. I especially don't like it when a server at a restaurant says it or a clerk in a store. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way and I still write out thank you notes! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I also am "old school" and say "you're welcome." I think "no problem" sounds rude. Once thanked a 20-ish person for coming to our home and the response was "no problem" which sounded like the person didn't really want to or had to be forced to attend. JMO I also write thank you notes. I do think it is rude not to receive a thank you for shower and wedding gifts--especially if you were unable to attend and don't know if the gift was received.

Super Contributor

I know, I hate sending gifts off into the air and never hearing a thing about them again. After a VERY reasonable time I will inquire if the recipient received it and usually get an "oh yeah, I forgot". Some people just don't get gifts anymore. I always let people know if I've received something.