Frequent Contributor

OFFICE CLIQUES MAKE LIFE UNCOMFORTABLE !

I recently started working in a small medical clinic with 3 other women. Those three women ages 43, 41 and 25 have know each other for a couple of years and spend a lot of time "partying" together. I feel like I am back in college with all the catty sorority girls (I was also in a sorority, but had a life outside of it). I'm 45 and no longer have any interest in bar hopping, drinking until all hours and gossiping. All day long, these women giggle, whisper, text each other and make inside joke about their "activities" and besides being extremely unprofessional it is just plain immature and rude ! Has anyone else ever dealt with this type of situation ?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: OFFICE CLIQUES MAKE LIFE UNCOMFORTABLE !

Every day.

But most of my co-workers are in their 20s.

I do my job, clock out and go home.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

We have that in our office. Fortunately for me - I do not care to spend my days standing by someone's desk gossiping for hours at a time, or texting back and forth or leaving the office at will to do whatever we want to do. If they aren't talking to one another - they have their phones out and are busy texting one another and giggling. BUT they are all in their 20s not their 40s.

It is tough to deal with it, if they are the only people in your office. I doubt they are going to change their routine. They seem to like it and probably will continue. Good luck - probably why the position was open. It is a tough situation and not a comfortable one to face day in and day out

PS - at least you don't have to watch and listen to the "Clique" spend their time flirting with all the young and good looking married or divorced men in the office.

Esteemed Contributor

It's like that everywhere, but in my experience, medical "professionals" are among the worst, as far as being that way. Being a small practice makes it even worse.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2014 mistriTsquirrel said:

Every day.

But most of my co-workers are in their 20s.

I do my job, clock out and go home.

That's what I did, too.........and I was actually called out by management for "not being a team player"...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

If management has called you on this, take the hint and look for another job; this isn't going to end well for you.

Trusted Contributor

If you think working with them is tough, try managing them. Impossible, no backup from HR, or my boss who knows how disruptive they are.
Super Contributor

I agree with the previous poster....this is not going to end well! I too worked in a doctors office with 3 other women. They were always laughing, giggling, texting and one of them talked on her cell phone all day long. Finally I complained to one of the women who was the office manager. Later that day I was fired for "not being a team player." Get out while you can!
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2014 HollywoodLady said: I agree with the previous poster....this is not going to end well! I too worked in a doctors office with 3 other women. They were always laughing, giggling, texting and one of them talked on her cell phone all day long. Finally I complained to one of the women who was the office manager. Later that day I was fired for "not being a team player." Get out while you can!

They were scared to fire me because they figured I'd sue for age discrimination. I eventually "retired".............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

We had a man leave the office because of the "other professionals" and their clique. I just sit there laughing inside, they are really terrible snobs.