Super Contributor

Mally Starlight Waterproof 10-pc Deluxe Eyeliner CAN'T SHARPEN THESE ANYBODY ELSE??

I love the colors on these pencils, but once the original point breaks off you can't resharpen them. Anybody experience this and if so what did you do to solve it. Any help is greatly appreciated.TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Mally Starlight Waterproof 10-pc Deluxe Eyeliner CAN'T SHARPEN THESE ANYBODY ELSE??

Try twisting them up, they are automatic (no sharpener necessary) unless you have a set I am unfamiliar with.

Super Contributor

Re: Mally Starlight Waterproof 10-pc Deluxe Eyeliner CAN'T SHARPEN THESE ANYBODY ELSE??

Unfortunately these are not the automatic ones. This set was offered last year and need to be sharpened. Thanks anyway

Honored Contributor

what is the item number?

i have never had any problems sharpening the starlight eyeliners.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Okay, haven't seen that set. I have a set of 5 that came with the sharpener, so far, so good.

People have often recommended putting liners in the fridge, sometimes that helps with sharpening.

Honored Contributor

I have those and use a regular sharpener for thin pencils ... no problem.

I don't understand the problem.

Super Contributor

Ok so this was the item number a326716. Tried the sharpener that came with another Mally set . Doesn't work hmmmm
Super Contributor

Maybe she changed them if you check out the item number you will see the same complaint
On 6/30/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I have those and use a regular sharpener for thin pencils ... no problem.

I don't understand the problem.

Regular Contributor

Put the pencil in the freezer for 5 min before sharpening. I learned this from Mally, it works like a charm!
Respected Contributor

As it happens, I sharpened two of them this weekend, to take on a trip. I used the sharpener supplied and it's true, the point breaks off as you try to sharpen it.

I looked hard at the pencil and it seems the composite that makes the case is much harder than the pencil "lead." So you tend to push hard to get the shavings of the case and the lead gets pressed into the end and breaks from the pressure.

I tried using less pressure and shaving it lightly---a turn or two, stop. Check the pencil, another half turn, etc. And I got both sharpened well enough. In other words, you have to treat them rather delicately. It is a sort of a pain in the neck. I think the freezer or fridge suggestion might help a lot, too.