Occasional Contributor

Just recieved the new Mally tsv and it came with a warning...

On the liquid lipstick there is a sticker that says in California this product contains a chemical known to cause cancer..Is this on anyone else's I live in Texas?
Honored Contributor

Re: Just recieved the new Mally tsv and it came with a warning...

You're kidding! What a shame! I can't believe they'd send something out like that. If mine has that label on when it comes, I will send it right back, no matter how much I like it. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Honored Contributor

So, you should be fine, since you don't live in CA. And it doesn't tell you what that chemical is? To tell you the truth, CA is so restrictive, I wouldn't be concerned about it myself. You notice the statement doesn't just say it contains an ingredient known to cause cancer. Therefore, the way I read it is that the powers in CA have determined that it causes cancer, but that this has not been accepted by scientists in all the other states.

Honored Contributor

I think it means that the product has some lead in it. It's up to you, to decide if you want to use it or not.
Honored Contributor

Thanks icegoddess and september for the explanation. Whew!

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2014 Icegoddess said:

So, you should be fine, since you don't live in CA. And it doesn't tell you what that chemical is? To tell you the truth, CA is so restrictive, I wouldn't be concerned about it myself. You notice the statement doesn't just say it contains an ingredient known to cause cancer. Therefore, the way I read it is that the powers in CA have determined that it causes cancer, but that this has not been accepted by scientists in all the other states.

Huh? That's exactly what it says. It's a Prop 65 warning probably due to lead.

Now, whether it will harm or kill you is a different story, but many lipsticks unfortunately do contain lead.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Now, whether it will harm or kill you is a different story, but many lipsticks unfortunately do contain lead.

No, it says In California it contains an ingredient known to cause cancer.

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2014 september said: I think it means that the product has some lead in it. It's up to you, to decide if you want to use it or not.

yes, this.

Trusted Contributor

This is in the beauty forum blogs...Not sure if this is related or not.

Recent Package Slip Message Provided to Customers living in California

Started 01/08/2014 at 6:03 PM in Beauty Banter, Q Did What?, Q News | Last reply 01/13/2014 at 8:10 PM by Karena
replies

Thank you QVC Community for bringing to our attention a message that we included with recent California orders. We want to let you know that the “Proposition 65" message, which appeared in error on some of our packing slips, was due to a system issue. We have now fixed this error and apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

Super Contributor

On 1/13/2014 suzyQ3 said:

No, it says In California it contains an ingredient known to cause cancer.

But you wrote "So, you should be fine, since you don't live in CA," implying that since she's not in CA she won't get cancer. It's pretty easy to Google and find the actually information explained at a .gov site. CA isn't just making stuff up with no scientific backing. People everywhere are aware of the fact that these chemicals have been linked to cancer. It's not "known" in CA only, it's just that only CA has a law to notify people. They are informing consumers of the facts of the ingredients contained in products, and you need to decide for yourself if you want to expose yourself to that ingredient and how much.