Dooney & Bourke
111 Members and 17200 Guests Online

Mally

Is anyone else annoyed of her products made in China? And some have Parabens!

Started 1325911730.16 in Mally | Last reply 1329230426.4 by smhr

What does she stand for exactly? Contradicting herself? She has made enough money off of us exploiting her "celebrity clientele" she could at least offer ALL of her products paraben free and made in the U.S. Most of her products are made in China, and the rest in Canada. It just doesn't seem right and I think we should start talking about it. We need to start looking out for each other ladies and not falling for Marketing!

P.S. I fell for it too at first :(

Page 1 of 2
ValentinaB­on1325913223.146934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

I don't know...I just looked at a dozen of her items and only a single brush was made in China. Most things were made in the USA, and a few things in Germany, Italy and Canada but not China. I actually think Mally's line is one of the better cosmetics companies in terms of not having a lot of items made in China.

BTW, I've only tried a few of her products.

DUH....WENing! :)

sandSF1325913944.567 PostsRegistered 1/6/2012

There are more products than that made in China, sorry. Majority of her brushes are made in China, as well as other products. And what about Parabens in her makeup? That is not good for us, and she keeps talking about how bad it is for us in the products she makes without them, but then doesn't mention it when she is showing her products that DO contain Parabens. I find it contradictory. I loved Mally from day one, but after ordering a ton of her products and reading what's in them, and after some research, I found it pretty scarry, and honestly a lot of false advertising. I felt it was my reponsibility to share what I learned.

Last edited on 1/6/2012

Last edited on 1/6/2012

ValentinaB­on1325915200.4976934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

Well, I humbly disagree, as I looked at even more products of hers and, again, only a few brushes and bags but the majority of her products are not made in China but everyone is entitled to their opinions and I have a feeling no one can convince you otherwise, even if I were to do a count of the products that are or aren't. Wink

Thank you for sharing your viewpoint on this though. As I said, I've only tried a few things from her line but I appreciate that she doesn't test on animals and that she is one of the few lines with most of her products not made in China and many of her products are actually made in the US. THere is alot of controversy around the affects of parabens so not everyone (doctors included) is in agreement as to whether or not they are "bad" for us and there are so many conflicting studies so maybe that is where she is coming from. I try to avoid parabens whenever possible but it isn't my biggest worry but if someone feels strongly about avoiding them, they should certainly do so.

Last edited on 1/6/2012

Last edited on 1/6/2012

DUH....WENing! :)

Irshgrl312­011325915777.33714952 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

No, I don't have any problems with parabens. Parabens are used in over 70% of cosmetics and skincare and there has yet to be a study solidly linking them to any kind of cancer. They offer less irritation than other preservatives and offer antibacterial and antifungal properties. They keep cosmetics and skincare safe to use. Parabens are in cancer drugs as well so they don't go bad and those are taken orally, not topically.

Irshgrl312­011325915987.13714952 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Also if preservatives were not used in cosmetics and skincare they would become overloaded with bacteria, mold and fungus making them harmful to use.

They are also fully metabolised before they even enter the bloodstream.

Irshgrl312­011325916221.31314952 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

I have tried many many products of Mally and I love every single one I have tried. I work as an aesthetician for four dermatologists and a plastic surgeon and I have used countless skincare products and cosmetics as I used to work as a makeup artist. She has some of the longest wearing makeup I have used. I love her colors and quality of her makeup. Some of the best on the market.

Irshgrl312­011325955877.96314952 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Also, all the products I have of hers do not say made in China. What products are you referring to?

Daysdee1325956150.03319248 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I love her products and I see her new foundation is back in stock. I may need to order it.

MissAnthro­py1325956801.09266 PostsRegistered 6/18/2009NY

The ONLY Mally products made in China are her brushes and bags/containers. ALL of her makeup and skincare are made in USA, Canada, Italy, Belgium, Ireland, Germany etc.

I'm very conscious of what is made in China and although I wish nothing was made in China, I can settle just for bags and brushes, knowing that a big portion of the actual makeup is made in the good old USA.

As far as parabens go, I don't get the hubbub. They've never bothered my skin and they help preserve makeup so you don't have to throw it out after a month.

Seriously, which products are you referring to?

jerseygyrl1325957344.3632163 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006

I understand everyones concern over China manufacturing practices but what if China stopped buying American goods? China isn't the only country to make dangerous products either. Remember the Tylenol that killed people or the contaminated Coke or the e coli in spinach or mad cow disease. Yes, goods made right here in the US.

The China thing is getting old.

sandSF1325960904.4277 PostsRegistered 1/6/2012

I am replying to what Mally herself has said on air. When she talks about a product free of parabens etc, she talks about how bad it is for you and how she really cares about giving us natural healthy products. But then doesn't say anything when she is promoting one of her products that does. I see a contradiction. Also I have heard her stress several times how she only uses the best top of the line ingredients and products. Her brushes from China are not made with top of the line materials, not just cause they are from China, but they are just not what she claims they are. I dont mind when products are made in China, and I don't care who has parabens in their makeup, I am saying I dont like how shecontradicts herself. My opinion.

In this link from HER website, she states:

But why is it different? Well, it is completely free of talc, fragrance, oils and parabens. So all that is left after you apply is a perfect, flawless you! It leaves you with a perfect soft focus complexion and makes the look of all those fine lines and wrinkles go bye bye!

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/powderfinisher/item/FA0018/poreless_perfection_skin_finisher/

But then on the same website, for her adjustable coverage foundation, look at the ingredients, I am just looking for consistantcy, not just marketing and what sounds good at the time.

Talc, Mica, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Squalene, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol.

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/foundation/item/FA0007/visible_skin_adjustable_coverage_foundati/

Last edited on 1/7/2012

Last edited on 1/7/2012

Irshgrl312­011325963675.79314952 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 1/7/2012 sandSF said:

I am replying to what Mally herself has said on air. When she talks about a product free of parabens etc, she talks about how bad it is for you and how she really cares about giving us natural healthy products. But then doesn't say anything when she is promoting one of her products that does. I see a contradiction. Also I have heard her stress several times how she only uses the best top of the line ingredients and products. Her brushes from China are not made with top of the line materials, not just cause they are from China, but they are just not what she claims they are. I dont mind when products are made in China, and I don't care who has parabens in their makeup, I am saying I dont like how shecontradicts herself. My opinion.

In this link from HER website, she states:

But why is it different? Well, it is completely free of talc, fragrance, oils and parabens. So all that is left after you apply is a perfect, flawless you! It leaves you with a perfect soft focus complexion and makes the look of all those fine lines and wrinkles go bye bye!

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/powderfinisher/item/FA0018/poreless_perfection_skin_finisher/

But then on the same website, for her adjustable coverage foundation, look at the ingredients, I am just looking for consistantcy, not just marketing and what sounds good at the time.

Talc, Mica, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Squalene, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol.

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/foundation/item/FA0007/visible_skin_adjustable_coverage_foundati/

Last edited on 1/7/2012

In your first quote what was she talking about. Looks like you are comparing two different products.

mom of 6!!1325986082.25203 PostsRegistered 3/15/2011

Let's all go to Mally's website and see what is reads.But read carefully.I for one will do that.Just to see what it says.This might take bit...lol

lyn in MI1325986551.10324655 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 1/6/2012 irshgrl312 said:

No, I don't have any problems with parabens. Parabens are used in over 70% of cosmetics and skincare and there has yet to be a study solidly linking them to any kind of cancer. They offer less irritation than other preservatives and offer antibacterial and antifungal properties. They keep cosmetics and skincare safe to use. Parabens are in cancer drugs as well so they don't go bad and those are taken orally, not topically.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

lyn in MI1325986994.4624655 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 1/7/2012 sandSF said:

I am replying to what Mally herself has said on air. When she talks about a product free of parabens etc, she talks about how bad it is for you and how she really cares about giving us natural healthy products. But then doesn't say anything when she is promoting one of her products that does. I see a contradiction.

...cut...

I don't recall hearing the comments you refer to above, but I haven't watched Mally on air for some time. However, if her line isn't an entirely paraben-free line AND she is claiming that parabens "are bad for us", I also see a contradition.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

Irshgrl312­011325988586.6714952 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 1/7/2012 lyn in MI said:
On 1/7/2012 sandSF said:

I am replying to what Mally herself has said on air. When she talks about a product free of parabens etc, she talks about how bad it is for you and how she really cares about giving us natural healthy products. But then doesn't say anything when she is promoting one of her products that does. I see a contradiction.

...cut...

I don't recall hearing the comments you refer to above, but I haven't watched Mally on air for some time. However, if her line isn't an entirely paraben-free line AND she is claiming that parabens "are bad for us", I also see a contradition.

lyn in MI, I can't say that I recall Mally making those comments either, but to be fair to the OP I haven't caught all her shows either. I get her stuff from either Ebay (I got a bunch of shadow sticks for $15/pc with no shipping and lots of other great prices), QVC online or once in a great while, her website. I can't really recall the last time I sat and watched an entire show of any show on the Q. It really would not make sense for her to make those claims so I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't actually say that. I am not calling the OP a liar, maybe she just misunderstood. Does anyone have a video of her bashing parabens? That would be so silly to do when her products do have them. I just can't see her team make such a big mistake. But I am sure stranger things have happened, I would just like to actually see and hear it with my own eyes and ears before jumping on the bandwagon.

Hope you are well lyn!

sandSF1326000769.7437 PostsRegistered 1/6/2012

Ok, to everyone who says they haven't heard her say anything about parabens on air, I also provided proof from HER very own website and the link from Her very own website that she is advertising a product that is paraben free, and using it as a selling point. see for yourself:

But why is it different? Well, it is completely free of talc, fragrance, oils and parabens. So all that is left after you apply is a perfect, flawless you! It leaves you with a perfect soft focus complexion and makes the look of all those fine lines and wrinkles go bye bye!

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/powderfinisher/item/FA0018/poreless_perfection_skin_finisher/

Yes, they are 2 different products, but I am saying if having parabens and talc in cosmetics didn't matter, why is it a selling point when there is a product that is free of those elements?? If you dont understand, then there is nothing more to say.

But then on the same website, for her adjustable coverage foundation, look at the ingredients, I am just looking for consistantcy, not just marketing and what sounds good at the time.

Talc, Mica, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Squalene, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol.

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/foundation/item/FA0007/visible_skin_adjustable_coverage_foundati/

Last edited on 1/7/2012

Last edited on 1/7/2012

Irshgrl312­011326001244.79314952 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 1/7/2012 sandSF said:

Ok, to everyone who says they haven't heard her say anything about parabens on air, I also provided proof from HER very own website and the link from Her very own website that she is advertising a product that is paraben free, and using it as a selling point. see for yourself:

But why is it different? Well, it is completely free of talc, fragrance, oils and parabens. So all that is left after you apply is a perfect, flawless you! It leaves you with a perfect soft focus complexion and makes the look of all those fine lines and wrinkles go bye bye!

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/powderfinisher/item/FA0018/poreless_perfection_skin_finisher/

Yes, they are 2 different products, but I am saying if having parabens and talc in cosmetics didn't matter, why is it a selling point when there is a product that is free of those elements?? If you dont understand, then there is nothing more to say.

But then on the same website, for her adjustable coverage foundation, look at the ingredients, I am just looking for consistantcy, not just marketing and what sounds good at the time.

Talc, Mica, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Squalene, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol.

http://www.mallybeauty.com/store/category/face/foundation/item/FA0007/visible_skin_adjustable_coverage_foundati/

Last edited on 1/7/2012

Because some people don't want parabens. I happen to think the people who think that really don't know anything about them but there is that market and she is catering to them too. There are many companies who offer a more natural line and a more science based line. SHE wasn't saying she had an objection to them but offering that for people who do. If you don't understand that then there is nothing more to say.

I am all for new posters but in this case I think you just changed nic to rag on her for whatever reason, I really don't know. You really could have just used your real nic to do it. No big deal.

sandSF1326003072.4677 PostsRegistered 1/6/2012

Looks like some people care

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Beauty-Banter/topic/231287/parabens-in-mally-cosmetics.aspx

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Beauty-Banter/topic/163094/mally-pore-perfection-foundation-primers.aspx

and Mally is gluten-free but her products arent- just sayin

http://momover.net/2011/01/14/mally-roncal-is-making-me-paranoid-about-gluten/

sandSF1326003658.737 PostsRegistered 1/6/2012

I noticed contradications... which happens to be for the first time, so I did research and wanted to share my research with others who may have the same concerns. I have been a QVC, and cosmetic customer for years. Watching Mally, ordering her products, talking with people, reading other blog posts etc, I started to naturally have questions! Take for example Tarte on QVC, she is across the board paraben free, when she promotes her products it is with the same consistant message and I respect that! So when, a couple of years ago, I started using Mally products and watching her shows, I noticed inconsistent messages and became concerned. After research I am the type of person who likes to share info, take it or leave it.

MissAnthro­py1326016243.59266 PostsRegistered 6/18/2009NY

I guess the point is that Mally has never claimed ALL her products are paraben free, she just points it out when they are for those who may care.

Since you brought up Tarte, it reminded me of a bunch of articles I read about Tarte & Sephora. Here is one: Tarte Cosmetics::Greenwashing Experts or Simply Ignorant?

ValentinaB­on1326050706.256934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011
On 1/8/2012 MissAnthropy said:

I guess the point is that Mally has never claimed ALL her products are paraben free, she just points it out when they are for those who may care.

Since you brought up Tarte, it reminded me of a bunch of articles I read about Tarte & Sephora. Here is one: Tarte Cosmetics::Greenwashing Experts or Simply Ignorant?

That is an interesting article and certainly NOT the first time I've head that about Tarte's (unnatural) ingredients. I think the word "natural" has been used wayyyyy to loosely regarding skincare and beauty items lately. People just really need to do their homework if they are wanting turly "natural" skincare or beauty products (do they even really exist??) and certainly not base their decisions on the companies' claims.

DUH....WENing! :)

MissAnthro­py1326054140.62266 PostsRegistered 6/18/2009NY
On 1/8/2012 ValentinaBon said:
On 1/8/2012 MissAnthropy said:

I guess the point is that Mally has never claimed ALL her products are paraben free, she just points it out when they are for those who may care.

Since you brought up Tarte, it reminded me of a bunch of articles I read about Tarte & Sephora. Here is one: Tarte Cosmetics::Greenwashing Experts or Simply Ignorant?

That is an interesting article and certainly NOT the first time I've head that about Tarte's (unnatural) ingredients. I think the word "natural" has been used wayyyyy to loosely regarding skincare and beauty items lately. People just really need to do their homework if they are wanting turly "natural" skincare or beauty products (do they even really exist??) and certainly not base their decisions on the companies' claims.

I completely agree. When it comes to QVC, or any marketing for that matter, we have to keep in mind that these product representatives are salesmen. With Mally & Tarte, the salesmen have a personal stake in the products and are proud and enthusiastic about what they're selling. There's nothing wrong with that. We just have to remember that if they claim a product has this or doesn't have that, they are only referring to that particular product and not the whole line. Their rhetoric is usually geared toward promoting the product they are hawking at the moment and they change it accordingly. I, personally, take sweeping statements made by vendors with a grain of salt.

Icegoddess1326056630.41638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

I really don't get all the hysteria over parabens. I want my makeup to have preservatives in them. If it doesn't have parabens, then you need to look at the preservative that is being used to see if it is any better. Some of the favorite substitutes for parabens aren't so great either, in my opinion.

And I also don't get into this all-natural hype. Just because it is natural doesn't mean it is better or that it won't irritate. Just look at some of the all-natural skin lightening products used in over history (lead, mercury, etc.). But we are so much smarter than they were. I'm not so sure.

smhr661326120446.9672384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010Laid Back and Mellow Small Town USA

I don't understand this paraben controversy. I would rather use products that contain parabens than the one's that don't. The one's without parabens will harbor bacteria much faster. People seem to hang on to these fallacies and don't bother to learn the truth.

mature, dry, sensitive, makeup optional skin. keep it healthy with NIA24, MD Forte, physical sunscreen and Fancl cleanser.

Page 1 of 2