Respected Contributor

Paging The Owl: For this New Englander, Storm of the Century was Not!

I'm in Western Massachusetts in the Pioneer Valley along the Connecticut River and this proved to be just a normal winter storm, thankfully. We got about 14" from what I can see, but I haven't heard the official amount yet. Roads clear and passable, but everything closed and cancelled today, schools, businesses, including the airport, and this will be a huge negative hit to the local economy. Massachusetts Turnpike still closed, but otherwise travel ban lifted. Still snowing east of Worcester to Boston and west in the Berkshires but it's over here and has been for hours.

How'd you make out, Owl, up there in New Hampshire? Freddi Mac, CT Customer, and other New England gals--how'd you fare?

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging The Owl: For this New Englander, Storm of the Century was Not!

Here in NYC we got a whopping 7 inches of snow.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

Lived in Wayland Ma for 30 years. Happy I'm not there now. Living in SE North Carolina coast and all we have are hurricanes.

Honored Contributor

Half of Long Island weighing in: 18"" here. Much higher the further east one traveled.

Boston and the Cape areas are still being impacted by this storm.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Whatever the storm, I'm always glad to be out of it - and I'm always glad when those who are in it get less storm than they might have.

Less storm is good even though it feels almost like a letdown to get only 7, 10, or 12 inches after all that build-up.

Super Contributor

Here in Central Massachusetts we have 25"" of snow so far and it is still snowing! DH is outside snowblowing as I type. We are due for 34 or 35"" on the Rt. 495 belt.

Valued Contributor

I'm in the Greater Boston area and we are still getting pounded by this storm. Hunkering down and hoping I don't lose power.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Kookielady said:

Here in Central Massachusetts we have 25" of snow so far and it is still snowing! DH is outside snowblowing as I type.

I heard Shrewsbury got 30"...but since it is still snowing in Eastern, MA, won't know the full MA totals until later tonight tomorrow. They had predicted we'd have snow until 1 AM tomorrow---so we dodged 14 hours of snowfall, but for all intents and purposes here in Hampden County, it's over. My dear next door neighbor always plows me out with his snow blower so I'm ready to rock and roll but not leaving the house today. I have to check with my three nieces and a nephew in Boston and another niece at college in New Hampshire to see how they are doing.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

Suburbs west of Boston and it's still snowing and blowing here. Not sure the totals but there's more than I want and it isn't over! We got at least 20 inches so far, but squalls this afternoon are supposed to drop 3 inches an hr! There is 30 inches so far 14 miles west of us, and we may get another foot and a half before it's done. DH is shoveling and not a happy camper. It is one of the biggest storms of all time, but the ranking (one to 8) won't be known until it's over.

Super Contributor

Hi! Milford, MA with over 22inches and still snowing. Went out to dig my car out and took a long time but only was able to clean the snow off. The drifts are impossible. Back at it soon and not sure about getting to work tomorrow. This is enough for me and I am done with winter. Just talking with my cousin in Charlotte, NC and planning on a move down there in the next year or so. Need to find a job first!

Hope this storm ends soon. Pray other NE ladies are doing ok. Hang in there. I keep thinking spring!

Peace, Nancy from MA