Respected Contributor

What To Wear: Black Tie Holiday Party

I'm looking for ideas on what to wear to a friend's black tie holiday party. We've been going to them for 15 years and I usually pull out a long St. John knit black skirt and find a dressy top or a plain top with dressy jewelry. I live in the Rocky Mountains, which is usually very casual in dress (you'll see jeans/cowboy hats at the opera/theater;Smiley Happy, so "black tie" has a wide range in interpretation, but I go by the book. Thought I'd mix it up this year, especially with the new Linea jewelry. Thinking maybe the funnel neck sweater over a velvet skirt & dressed up with the Linea pin/shrimp earrings? Too casual?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What To Wear: Black Tie Holiday Party

Black tie to me means formal, very formal.

Honored Contributor

Grace, as soon as I read your subject line, my mind raced to our most current Linea items and chose the funnel neck sweater with a long dark skirt, just as you did. I love the pin/shrimp earring selection, thinking that it is a tasteful way to lift the outfit to a dressier level. Did you buy a coordinating Linea shawl? I'd like to see that with this outfit, too.

Taking into account that there might be Rocky Mountain-style super-casual outfits at this gathering as well as super-glitzy (typical black tie), you would fall nicely somewhere in between. Speaking for myself, I prefer not to be the most dressed-up woman attending an affair.

Honored Contributor

I think what you have in mind GraceCO is perfect for that area's definition of 'black tie'.

Goldie76-- I wore last night to retirement dinner at a steakhouse in NYC the pinstripe suit and out of the 3 women there-- (2 were co workers of my DH) I was the best dressed out of the women. All the men had suits and ties on.

One of the women wore an outfit that would have looked perfect on Big Bang Theory's Amy. I asked myself in regard to this woman-- what were you thinking? Put on something that was more business than casual for this kind of dinner. But I digress....

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

On 11/20/2014 Goldie76 said:

Grace, as soon as I read your subject line, my mind raced to our most current Linea items and chose the funnel neck sweater with a long dark skirt, just as you did. I love the pin/shrimp earring selection, thinking that it is a tasteful way to lift the outfit to a dressier level. Did you buy a coordinating Linea shawl? I'd like to see that with this outfit, too.

Taking into account that there might be Rocky Mountain-style super-casual outfits at this gathering as well as super-glitzy (typical black tie), you would fall nicely somewhere in between. Speaking for myself, I prefer not to be the most dressed-up woman attending an affair.

Goldie, thank you! You've perfectly translated my dilemma of honoring the black tie protocol while not being overly formal. Like you, I also prefer not being the most dressed up woman in the room, which is why the understated elegance of Linea works so well.

I have the black shawl, but I don't yet have a funnel sweater. Thinking about color...do you think the raspberry funnel sweater with the raspberry shawl is a good option? Ivory? Black too much? (Blonde, blue eyes, warm skin tone). The jewelry is on its way as of last night!

I appreciate your very good advice, as always.

Honored Contributor

I am leaning toward the raspberry funnel sweater and shawl for you. You will be a lovely vision, Grace.

And JJM has attested to the comfort level of being dressed up to the "correct" degree. Congratulations, JJM, on holding the Linea banner high. Is there anything more uncomfortable than not getting the correct degree of dress up?

Honored Contributor

A short cocktail dress can be worn for black tie. It is less formal than white tie and then there is another layer beyond that--can't think of it at the moment!

Honored Contributor

Quacker Factory

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

http://www.emilypost.com/everyday-manners/your-personal-image/69-attire-guide-beach-casual-to-white-...

I get confused with all the different dress codes for some occasions. This is a good site for info.

Respected Contributor

I would do a black WK tank, maybe the one with the rib bottom, the long black WK skirt, or any long black skirt, the all over lace tights with pumps or sandals and lots of black jet necklaces, earrings and bracelets. Then I would wrap up in the fabulous e black WK shawl which has become my favorite shawl of all time.