Not applicable

I have lost a little weight and would like some of my whisperknits to fit a little smaller. Has anyone washed them in the washing machine and then put them in the dryer? Do they shrink, and do they still look good after being in the dryer? I would love to hear.

Super Contributor

What does the garment list as fiber content? Maybe that will give some good clues! Good for you for losing weight! YAY!!!

Super Contributor

I have a LOT of WK, and routinely machine wash in cold water on delicate cycle and dry on low heat. My experience has been that the first-time shrinkage after drying is very minimal, really only enough to "tighten" the knit a tiny bit and make it slightly more dense, something that I actually prefer. Not enough to change the piece to a smaller size. Don't know what would happen if higher heat were used.

Respected Contributor

I ordered the WK scoop neck sweater in a Large (needed the sold out Medium), but I decided to shrink it to fit. Washed it in warm water and dried it on high and that did the trick! Having said that, it's far better to get the right size, because it's impossible to control the amount of shrinkage. Good luck!

Regular Contributor

I also machine wash multiple Whisper Knits inside out in a mesh bag in cold water on delicate, and tumble dry on the lowest setting. I've never tried to intentionally shrink any Whisper Knit items. My life experience with knits in the dryer tells me that they are more likely to shrink in length than in width. YMMV

Super Contributor
Only natural fibers shrink. Maybe you're thinking of cotton tee shirts or cotton jeans? Natural fibers.
Super Contributor
Rayon can shrink. Depending on how it's made, rayon fiber can be very susceptible to shrinking. I'm glad to hear the WK items stand up well to washing.
Regular Contributor
On 10/18/2014 luvingit said: Only natural fibers shrink. Maybe you're thinking of cotton tee shirts or cotton jeans? Natural fibers.

Rayon is a natural fiber, made of purified cellulose usually derived from wood pulp.

Esteemed Contributor

I washed my WK pants (last year's version) in hot, hot water because I wanted them to shrink. Also dried them in the dryer at high heat. They did not shrink one iota ... I now wear them at home only.

They are a more substantial WK than the current (2014) version.

Respected Contributor

I had a similar story to Sox. I bought the beefy ones on clearance last year for my mom. They were too big but I was desperate to try a pair, so I bought them and washed on hot over and over. They might have shrunk a tiny bit, but nothing noticeable. The fabric held up very well.Smile Things only shrink when I don't want them to.