Regular Contributor

Hunter Green -- can a "winter" wear it?

I'm still fairly new to Linea (started purchasing this summer) and I've purchased several basics in navy, black, and charcoal grey which are good colours for me. As a "winter", I look best in primary colours (black, white, navy, red, etc) and in jewel tones (emerald, sapphire blue, ruby) but horrible in muted shades. I know that I cannot wear anything olive but I'm wondering about Hunter Green. Can I wear hunter green against my face?

Your input is appreciated!

Valued Contributor

Re: Hunter Green -- can a ""winter"" wear it?

I am a winter and wear hunter green. As long as it is a blue based green (dark) go for it!

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Trusted Contributor

How does one find a consultant to determine what season you are? I suspect I'm a winter (Irish ancestry, pale skin with pink undertones, dark hair) but am not really sure.

Respected Contributor

Yes, you can wear this hunter green. I am a "burnished winter" and I just bought the turtleneck (older style) to wear as a layering piece. Somewhere, I can't recall if it was on his blog or on the air, Louis explained the two dark greens in his palette this fall:

Hunter green - dark green with a blue undertone

Olive - dark green with a brown undertone.

Louis differentiated his olive from many other renditions of the color, saying that they are often yellow-based but his is brown-based.

And PilatesLover, the whole thing about determining your most flattering color palette based upon using the seasons as a guide was a 1980s thing. It was called Color Me Beautiful. I don't know if that concept is still around as a franchised consultant business.

Regular Contributor

Cookie, thank you for your feedback (my wallet isn't so thrilled{#emotions_dlg.lol}) -- it helps my decision about several Linea tops.

PilatesLover, I had my colours done way back in the 80's after Carole Jackson's book, "Color Me Beautiful", was published. There are several websites that offer information but I like Pretty Your World since it provides a lot of information. The Pretty Your World website expands on the seasons (Cool, Deep, Clear) and I'm a Deep Winter.

FavoriteSon, thanks for sharing Louis's explanation.

Super Contributor

I think if you could get to a store close by, hold up a hunter green near your face and be pleasantly surprised. I am colored similar to some of you, and I have gotten compliments for years (since I was young!) when I have worn hunter green. I seek it out.

The things in Denim and Co. marked Evergreen--works very well.

Honored Contributor

I am a winter - pink based fair skin with white hair and green eyes. I like to wear blue based greens like forest green.

Regular Contributor

ivey and happy housewife, thanks! I look great in "British Racing Green" (another blue-based dark green) but I couldn't tell about Linea's Hunter Green from pictures and TV and I hate doing returns.

Respected Contributor

Hi, Merrylass. I'm a Winter, too (but with Brown Eyes) and I can wear the Hunter Green. In fact, I wore the WK pants and V-neck sweater yesterday and they looked great. I wore Bare Escentuals "Italian Ice" Lipstick---looked great, and a Red Lambskin Blazer from Nordstrom's---had it for years---the red was not bright---it was just the right shade and looked great with the Hunter Green.

I think you should try a Hunter Top and see if you like it next to your skin. I thought it looked very lux and rich.

As you know, we Winters can't wear the Olive, though, next to our faces, but I do have Olive Pants that I wear with a Black Top.

Did you get any of the Navy WK pieces? You could always switch out the gold buttons on the Cardigan for silver---in fact, I bet you could swap the gold for the silver with one of the gals who got the Hunter cardigan that might want gold buttons, as the Hunter came with silver buttons.

I got the Red Brick and the Black OTO Cardigans and the Brick Tank. Again, not the ideal Red for us Winters, but I loved it---it does not have yellow in it, but not blue either---more of a "black/brown" base, if that makes any sense---so it does work.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

Merrylass, thanks! I just checked out that site. It was a lot of fun! Color analysis does not appear to have changed much in the last twenty years, only to have expanded to include more categories.