Honored Contributor

Tried to add this to the other thread and got a msg that the discussion is closed, although, the thread didn't say that.

The problem could be with the material on which the beads are strung. They're glass and the shifting they do during shipping may cause the sharp glass to cut the stringing material. Every beader knows there is a variety of stringing materials available for use with different types of beads, and it's important to select the right one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Yes, I think you are correct. Too bad because I think the design and the chocolate color is nice. Maybe they can reproduce with better materials.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

I ordered a couple of the early necklaces J-279132 and J-270117. They were not glass beads. One broke while standing in lobby of performance center and beads flying on the marble floor - the other broke while I was getting in car on a rainy night into the gutter. I got them replaced but seldom wear them because I am uneasy.

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 DiAnne said:

I ordered a couple of the early necklaces J-279132 and J-270117. They were not glass beads. One broke while standing in lobby of performance center and beads flying on the marble floor - the other broke while I was getting in car on a rainy night into the gutter. I got them replaced but seldom wear them because I am uneasy.

How embarrassing! And 50-60 dollars and up is not ""cheap"" or insignificant. I also feel bad for the customer who bought them as a gift and had to run out last minute for another gift. She said it was broken as she pulled it out of the bag. Better to wait for the new manufacturing in 2015.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor

Is LDO designing these himself and providing the manufacturer with specs? Perhaps he's just not specifying the correct type of beading wire?

Or - is he just ordering something from the manufacturer's line?

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 Kathleen said:

Is LDO designing these himself and providing the manufacturer with specs? Perhaps he's just not specifying the correct type of beading wire?

Or - is he just ordering something from the manufacturer's line?

They are his designs and he selects the manufacturer.

Respected Contributor

Are you talking about the double strand necklace? These beads are metal, not glass. I did receive a broken pair and it did not look like it was the filament the bead were strung on. It was not attached at on end of one strand. This was very obvious to others as well.

I'm wearing my replacement and looking at it closely, this is clear.

I do understand what you're saying. I posted the same observation on Louis blog about a pair of beads a friend brought me from Nigeria. Since they were strung on a piece of grass I had to have them strung and it took many times before the ceramic beads didn't eat through the material they were strung on.

I have an heirloom piece from a great aunt: marcasite and onyx. When I was wearing it a lot I was advised to have them restrung every two years. The person who told me this was an appraiser; he had no monetary gain from restringing. My neighbor has family antique pearls strung every three years. She had them break on her and lost pearls.

I do not buy torsades for this reason. I consider them too high risk.

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 lavendar said:

Are you talking about the double strand necklace? These beads are metal, not glass. I did receive a broken pair and it did not look like it was the filament the bead were strung on. It was not attached at on end of one strand. This was very obvious to others as well.

I'm wearing my replacement and looking at it closely, this is clear.

I do understand what you're saying. I posted the same observation on Louis blog about a pair of beads a friend brought me from Nigeria. Since they were strung on a piece of grass I had to have them strung and it took many times before the ceramic beads didn't eat through the material they were strung on.

I have an heirloom piece from a great aunt: marcasite and onyx. When I was wearing it a lot I was advised to have them restrung every two years. The person who told me this was an appraiser; he had no monetary gain from restringing. My neighbor has family antique pearls strung every three years. She had them break on her and lost pearls.

I do not buy torsades for this reason. I consider them too high risk.

Yes, it's too costly to restring costume jewelry, and no one wants to experience a breakage while wearing it out. He has some great designs---this one is not in that category.

Valued Contributor

Thanks Lavendar - I received two of these and they were not broken - or with the filament unattached on the end as you described. You've reassured me that mine, which arrived properly attached, will work out well.

I'm remembering that the torsade multistrand bead necklace which came in goldtone and silvertone also had some breakage reports but those too reached me all in tact and I wore both of them to death over the summer. No problems.

I'm thinking somebody in the factory was either in a hurry on a batch of these or did not know how to properly tie the filament on to the findings. I think I will confidently now go forth and wear these 2 new 2-strand necklaces I purchased. As you reported, all the "issues" I happened to read about were "of filament not tied to the findings" rather than of filaments cut and broken. You've boosted my confidence to enjoy my 2 beautiful necklaces Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor
On 9/23/2014 TheOwl said:

Thanks Lavendar - I received two of these and they were not broken - or with the filament unattached on the end as you described. You've reassured me that mine, which arrived properly attached, will work out well.

I'm remembering that the torsade multistrand bead necklace which came in goldtone and silvertone also had some breakage reports but those too reached me all in tact and I wore both of them to death over the summer. No problems.

I'm thinking somebody in the factory was either in a hurry on a batch of these or did not know how to properly tie the filament on to the findings. I think I will confidently now go forth and wear these 2 new 2-strand necklaces I purchased. As you reported, all the "issues" I happened to read about were "of filament not tied to the findings" rather than of filaments cut and broken. You've boosted my confidence to enjoy my 2 beautiful necklaces Smiley Wink

Sure seems that way--much ado about nothing! I also have four of these necklaces (one in each color) and have been rotating them each day without any trouble whatsoever. I also ordered another two necklaces--in gunmetal and gold--to get that doubling up look. I'm enjoying these gorgeous pieces AND the compliments!