Respected Contributor

Opinion: Gunmetal Jewelry Choice?

I'm packing for a business trip & plan to take the grey maxi and the petrol blue tank/zip sweater. I have zero gunmetal jewelry and the Linea love knot 36" in gunmetal would be perfect, if it wasn't sold out.

Would you do this necklace J278125 instead? I don't recall ever seeing this one on a model, so I cannot tell if it's too casual for business wear.

Thanks in advance!

Respected Contributor

Re: Opinion: Gunmetal Jewelry Choice?

Anyone have this necklace J278125?

Valued Contributor

HI GraceCO....I have all the items you mentioned and if I might reply... I don't know if you have J278125. I have 2 of each color and wear 2 at a time. But I like statement jewelry. If you don't have this necklace it is bold and has large hammered links. There are comments some purchasers did not realize how bold it is until they got it home. The graphics do not convey the large links in this necklace. I think it would look terrific with the gray maxi (my favorite skirt, by the way) and petrol blue sweater. Thanks for mentioning this combo. It's 90* in hotlanta so I haven't tried any combo's yet.

P.S. Jac wore this necklace several times, I'll think on this and if I can recall what she was modeling I'll look up. I'm an attorney and wear these necklaces to work and they are very appropriate.

P.P.S. Go to Louis's website and in the right search box type in J278125 and you can see how this necklace really looks.

Honored Contributor

Grace, I have this necklace in the goldtone and think it is a lot of fun. It is a bit jangly (might it disturb speakers at a meeting?), and its flavor is not quite right for a meeting, to my mind.

This necklace is for party time and mojitos or outdoor summertime meals. All right, not necessarily all that, but there is something unserious and festive about it, making it not quite right for meetings.

I wish the love knot were available for you.

HAPPY LADY, I just read your post. Hope I didn't offend. Remember, I'm an uptight D.C. dresser.

Valued Contributor

On 8/28/2014 Goldie76 said:

Grace, I have this necklace in the goldtone and think it is a lot of fun. It is a bit jangly (might it disturb speakers at a meeting?), and its flavor is not quite right for a meeting, to my mind.

This necklace is for party time and mojitos or outdoor summertime meals. All right, not necessarily all that, but there is something unserious and festive about it, making it not quite right for meetings.

HAPPY LADY, I just read your post. Hope I didn't offend. Remember, I'm an uptight D.C. dresser.

I'm laughing because I was just going to respond to your "appropriate conservation response" and here you bet me by responding to my reply. It is all about style. Of course, I plan to wear my black lace up the back of my legs leggings to work with killer black 6" boots. I have always been the only woman in my law firm and have found over my many years the way to keep all the guys in line is to keep them a little "confused". They can't be "macho and bullying" if they are a little enamored and intrigued. The fact I am about 30 years older than them makes it all safe.{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 HAPPY LADY said:
On 8/28/2014 Goldie76 said:

<em>Grace</em>, I have this necklace in the goldtone and think it is a lot of <em>fun</em>. It is a bit jangly (might it disturb speakers at a meeting?), and its flavor is not quite right for a meeting, to my mind.

This necklace is for party time and mojitos or outdoor summertime meals. All right, not necessarily all that, but there is something <em>unserious</em> and festive about it, making it not quite right for meetings.

<em>HAPPY LADY,</em> I just read your post. Hope I didn't offend. Remember, I'm an uptight D.C. dresser.

I'm laughing because I was just going to respond to your "appropriate conservation response" and here you bet me by responding to my reply. It is all about style. Of course, I plan to wear my black lace up the back of my legs leggings to work with killer black 6" boots. I have always been the only woman in my law firm and have found over my many years the way to keep all the guys in line is to keep them a little "confused". They can't be "macho and bullying" if they are a little enamored and intrigued. The fact I am about 30 years older than them makes it all safe.{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

I just love your "larger than life" self, HAPPY LADY, and you are quite right. It's that "attitude" thing all over again. If you think you can wear it, you actually can. Love the way you keep the boys intrigued.

Respected Contributor

Happy Lady and Goldie, thank you both for weighing in. My meeting is with a client in NYC over several days. One of those days, I'll be presenting my proposal for the 2015 plan/contract and although I won't choose the outfit described above for my presentation, I want to stay mostly "buttoned-up" for this trip. After they sign the deal, I'll feel more comfortable dressing a bit more casually.

I like hearing this necklace is bolder than the photo. I'll use the search option on Louis' blog (thanks, Happy Lady for that suggestion) and place an order once I figure out what color.

Thank you both again for your styling counsel!

Trusted Contributor

I guess it depends on your occupation, but I think it's a great necklace and would look perfect with your outfit. As an option, do you have Louis' gray pearls? Those would be more conservative and are "gunmetal" too.

Respected Contributor

crdlb, thanks--good suggestion on the pearls. I have the grey ones and will try them. Not sure they'll read too dressy with the zip cardigan, but you never know. (I'm a crisis communications/branding consultant, btw.) I'll also order J278125 in the gunmetal, which also has blue stones in it. It's worth a try!

Thanks, ladies!!

Respected Contributor

I'm retired. I've always dressed with attitude.I have this necklace in bronze. Wore it yesterday running around doing errands. I was wearing a bold print muumuu type dress (it was ninety degrees here.)

However when I worked as a freelance medical writer or a full time employee of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation I attended conferences and dinner meetings. I wore suits and pearls. A red suit if I wanted to double as a doctor's wife. This was a long time ago and you have no idea the goody baskets they got.

I would not wear this for business. I know things have loosened up but I think it would be distracting.