Super Contributor

Stunning Tarragon leather blazer BUT.....sigh.....

Hello Linea Ladies - I just opened my GORGEOUS leather blazer with knit sleeves, absolutely stunning. Unfortunately the leather has a slight mildew smell, and the tag in the jacket says if not stored properly, this can happen :-( I'm airing it now to see if it goes away, the knit seems fine. Just wondering if this happened to anybody else????? I'm just heartbroken because the jacket is mostly sold out now. Thanks for any comments, so appreciate :-D
Super Contributor

Re: Stunning Tarragon leather blazer BUT.....sigh.....

Try putting it into a bag with an open box of baking soda. That should help absorb some of the odor.

Esteemed Contributor

Hang it outside for a day, that may help a lot.

Respected Contributor

I'm airing my Luggage Tan for the same reason, unfortunately. It just arrived today.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Trusted Contributor

I know this sounds crazy, but I have firefighter friends and they put open cans of coffee or charcoal briquets in rooms that are smoke filled to absorb odors. You might try putting your jacket in box with one of those if airing doesn't work. Just a thought.

Valued Contributor

Hang the jacket on hanger and cover with a plastic bag. Spray tissues or any other kind of clean paper with Fabreze and place in the bag and seal the bottom. Leave room at the bottom of the bag for the damp paper to lie. Don't let the damp tissues touch the jacket. I do this often with anything that needs help. I also do this action when I open a new shoe box and there is strong chemical smell. The next day it is gone. Totally gets rid of foot odor in older shoes. There was an issue last year with the suede jackets smelling AWFUL from something sprayed on that lot and this did the trick.

Super Contributor

Wow, thanks everybody! I'll try one or all of these asap. I did find silica in the pockets, so hopefully it's not permanent moisture damage like I thought at first. Such a lovely piece!
Honored Contributor

I don't want to rain on you all's parade but if it is mildewed it is going to be damaged by that. Mildew is much more than just a smell - it is a growing fungus. Do you want to be wearing that next to your skin? Or hang it in your closet? EEEWWWW. I would absolutely send it back.

Honored Contributor

It won't keep growing if the conditions for growth are removed. I have taken musty smelling clothing, including leather jackets, and hung them in a sealed trash bag with coffee grounds in the bottom of the bag. It took a few weeks but all smell was removed. I also have used this coffee trick in musty dresser drawers. All this stuff came from a house that was unoccupied for a couple years.

Honored Contributor

On 8/7/2014 depglass said:

It won't keep growing if the conditions for growth are removed. I have taken musty smelling clothing, including leather jackets, and hung them in a sealed trash bag with coffee grounds in the bottom of the bag. It took a few weeks but all smell was removed. I also have used this coffee trick in musty dresser drawers. All this stuff came from a house that was unoccupied for a couple years.

Meanwhile while you are airing out the clothing, the 30 day return policy is ticking away. I think its disgraceful that they are selling sub par clothing as new to us!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼