Valued Contributor

A257285 Brick Red & Black Boot Skirts

Just received both and LOVE! The red is a browner red than chili pepper and is a heftier fabric as Louis stated. Similar to the fabric he used for the asymmetrical jacket and pants last year but a little less stretchy. This fabric fills the void for a denser, heavier winter fabric without being a knit. Some have complained their knit skirts don't "sit" too well. This winter skirt will not have that issue. For our tall ladies you will love this winter skirt. It is not a straight skirt but a very slight A line; just barely. I am 5'6" and stops about 1 1/2" above my ankles. Unlined and a 5/8" turn under hem. No extra hem to let out for talls but can be easily turned under and hemmed for petites without being too much fabric for the petite gals.This is a plain, clean skirt; back zip and button. The waist is 1 1/2" contoured with no elastic but some stretch. This new brick red is a neutral if you wear warm tones and does not look like or match or go with any of the other reds we have to date. By the way the black is a staple winter skirt. Looks like winter. I am ordering the jackets to go with and since I have felt this fabric I would suggest be aware these are fall, winter items like the asymmetrical items from last year. I wear a medium in pants and ordered 12 because I was concerned about the stretch. I could have worn a 10 but would have been tight around the waist if I wanted to tuck tops in. I'm keeping the 12.

Frequent Contributor

Re: A257285 Brick Red & Black Boot Skirts

Great review. I have the black and love it. I planned on getting only the brick red jacket but now I am going to get both and might have to have the brick red skirt. I am only 5 feet 3 inches but the longer length works.

Honored Contributor

Your review was exceptional in the way it addressed nearly any concern, H.L. Very impressive.

I did not buy the assymetrical outfit last year; thus, I am having a difficult time imagining what the fabric is like. Do you have any other comparisons up your sleeve?

At about 5'3" I think this skirt would overwhelm me, but ceicei is responding well to it. All of us ladies love boot-length skirts.

Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 Goldie76 said:

Your review was exceptional in the way it addressed nearly any concern, H.L. Very impressive.

I did not buy the assymetrical outfit last year; thus, I am having a difficult time imagining what the fabric is like. Do you have any other comparisons up your sleeve?

At about 5'3" I think this skirt would overwhelm me, but ceicei is responding well to it. All of us ladies love boot-length skirts.

Hi Goldie...I hate to use the word "wool" {#emotions_dlg.scared}but this fabric reminds me of a wool melton. It has a smooth finish with no texture but is dense. It has give but no stretch. I don't think this skirt would overwhelm a petite regardless of height or weight because there is very little fullness in this skirt. It is a very slight A line so it does not stand out very wide from the body as it lengthens. Shortening will not affect the lines of this skirt. It is very slimming because there is no elastic and no gathering. I would size up if you have a larger waist because, although the contour waist does have give, there is not very much. For some reason, I envision you in RED!!

Respected Contributor

HappyLady, thank you for the very thorough review--much appreciated. Everything you said reinforced all my hopes for this skirt. I'm tall and plan to wear it exclusively with boots. The black is on its way to me, but thinking about ordering the red, too, just in case it sells out tomorrow. In your opinion, is it a good red for a "summer" palette blue-eyed blonde?

Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 GraceCO said:

HappyLady, thank you for the very thorough review--much appreciated. Everything you said reinforced all my hopes for this skirt. I'm tall and plan to wear it exclusively with boots. The black is on its way to me, but thinking about ordering the red, too, just in case it sells out tomorrow. In your opinion, is it a good red for a "summer" palette blue-eyed blonde?

HI GraceCO, I had myself color typed years ago and I was a summer. I had very blonde hair and green eyes and yellow undertones in my skin. Now I am very dark brown, green eyes and yellow undertones. Now I am a winter. I can't wear pink (bubblegum) but I can wear peach. I can't wear anything with a true blue/pink/cool under tone. I like this brick red because it leans towards a brown/yellow/red (just like a traditional brick looks.) If you have pink undertones this might not be your best red near your face but as a skirt that wouldn't matter. I love fuschia and wear bottoms in that color but not near my face. This color looks great with browns, navies, blacks, whites, ivories. I "walked it" through my closet and I have enough winter items to wear with that make it a good investment in brick red. The black is a must winter skirt. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

On 7/31/2014 HAPPY LADY said:

Your review was exceptional in the way it addressed nearly any concern, <em>H.L</em>. Very impressive.

At about 5'3" I think this skirt would overwhelm me, but <em>ceicei</em> is responding well to it. All of us ladies love boot-length skirts.

Hi Goldie...I hate to use the word "wool" {#emotions_dlg.scared}but this fabric reminds me of a wool melton. It has a smooth finish with no texture but is dense. It has give but no stretch. I don't think this skirt would overwhelm a petite regardless of height or weight because there is very little fullness in this skirt. It is a very slight A line so it does not stand out very wide from the body as it lengthens. Shortening will not affect the lines of this skirt. It is very slimming because there is no elastic and no gathering. I would size up if you have a larger waist because, although the contour waist does have give, there is not very much. For some reason, I envision you in RED!!

Thank you, HAPPY. I'm a winter. With that in mind, do you still think the red would work well for me? My complexion is pale olive. If I were younger, you would be able to say that I have the coloring of Catherine Zeta-Jones (to use JJM's great famous-person selection for this type of coloring). I injected the "if I were younger," because as one ages, little things about one's coloring change. Ah, nuance, how I loathe thee.

ETA: I'm now laughing at my choice of the word "nuance." It's been more like a sea change. :-)

Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 HAPPY LADY said:

Your review was exceptional in the way it addressed nearly any concern, <em>H.L</em>. Very impressive.

At about 5'3" I think this skirt would overwhelm me, but <em>ceicei</em> is responding well to it. All of us ladies love boot-length skirts.

Thank you, HAPPY. I'm a winter. With that in mind, do you still think the red would work well for me? My complexion is pale olive. If I were younger, you would be able to say that I have the coloring of Catherine Zeta-Jones (to use JJM's great famous-person selection for this type of coloring). I injected the "if I were younger," because as one ages, little things about one's coloring change. Ah, nuance, how I loathe thee.

Yes I do..... Yes, all of our body parts slowly change color. As my Aunt Mary, age 87, commented when she returned from the funeral of a friend. I asked her if she saw anyone she knew and she said she wasn't sure because everyone looked like "marshmallows". I asked her what she meant and she said everyone was round and white and they all looked the same. I had never thought about "it" that way. She always had a very different and colorful way of describing "stuff".

Honored Contributor

Oh, how funny! Your Aunt Mary's description captures the look. What an insightful and creative choice of word.

If we live long enough, we begin to look like crickets. Yes, for some reason, extremely old women begin to look like crickets to me. We shrink, shrivel, pull into ourselves. Anyway, I see "cricket."

Well, brick red will be my choice if I slide that way to choose. Thank you, HAPPY.

Honored Contributor

I received the aubergine WK pencil skirt and adore it. How I hope Louis creates a sweater for it.