Contributor

Shortening the Whisper Knit pencil skirt?

Does anyone have suggestions about shortening the whisper knit pencil skirt? Louis said some ladies do a regular hem; how does that look? Has anyone shortened the skirt at the waistband? Thanks for your help.

Valued Contributor

Re: Shortening the Whisper Knit pencil skirt?

Camiella: While I have done a lot of alterations for myself and for others, the whisper knit pencil skirt is something I have not and will not undertake. Honestly, I do not know how you would do a hem in such a way as to not diminish the natural stretch. Here's what I have done though. The whisper knit pants were too long for me. I washed them in the hottest possible water and got enough shrinkage to wear them when the weather is cold. IF I were undertaking the shortening of the pencil skirt I think I would try doing so from the waistband. First a good examination is in order to see if this will really work - depending on how much you need to remove in length.

My best suggestion would be to find yourself a really good tailor and see what they can recommend.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the previous suggestion to take the skirt to a tailor and have them shorten it at the waistband.

Contributor

Thank you. I have had St. John knits shortened and I believe they do it from the waistband. I am hesitant to hem from the bottom, too; I think it would detract from the pretty knit finish.