Guaranteed Delivery
120 Members and 19779 Guests Online

Linea

The Lace Dress

Started 1370086770.92 in Linea | Last reply 1370274642.297 by Debbie1426
I just had to write to say how much I love this dress! I wore the black lace version last night to my DS's graduation. The fit is perfect but even better - the stretch! Climbing bleachers, sitting on bleachers, etc. It stretched and recovered every step up and down. My SIL complimented me on the dress and how it fit. Louis got it right with this dress! Perfection! If any are available, I recommend it highly.

Page 1 of 1
Goldie761370099246.5372825 PostsRegistered 5/19/2012

I'm delighted by your happy review! It almost had me go and search for one of these dresses in my size, but I know I have to sit tight.

You know that Louis designs for a variety of body types out here, and not everything he creates can flatter all his gals. This is one of those items that request me to sit out the dance. It kills me, but that's the way it is.

Nonetheless, I love reading about those who wear this dress (or any of his fashions, for that matter) well and with great pleasure, as you obviously did. I can identify because I have Linea items that flatter me and make me feel good about myself. Way to go, Belle_Femme!

morganjen1370100004.712725 PostsRegistered 11/25/2004

I'm still on waitlist for this one.

BlueCollar­Babe1370101483.39711090 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007

You're fortunate to live where people dress up for graduations. Every one I've attended (high school and college) for the past 10 years, the adults were dressed super casual, tee shirts, jeans, no ties on the men, women all in crop pants or similar.

This photo of Bruce Willis at his daughter's graduation from Brown is typical.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Summery: Beneath her long black gown Scout was wearing a cute blue and green mini-dress

Goldie761370102691.2672825 PostsRegistered 5/19/2012

I know we have all written about the sea change in dressing -- even for important events -- and I am once again going to say how I rue the day that this all started to happen. I stubbornly chalk this up to my generation's popularizing jeans. Who would have suspected that the '60s influence would hang in this long.

Sorry, a "great pair of jeans and top" just do not cut it in my book.

I'm ready for the slings and arrows that will come my way because of my comment, but I will not back down on my opinion. So, don't expect me to respond to any criticism of my opinion. I would be interested, however, in others' thought on how this dress revolution came about. I sometimes make a generalization that has failed to account for other factors, so if you can think of them, please state them. Just wish we could give proper respect to certain places and occasions once again.

JustJazzmom1370105416.56328460 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

I agree Goldie, its all about 'showing respect' to the graduates for all the hard work they have put into their education over the years spent at college or high school.

I wore to my son's Doctoral Physics degree ceremony in Philly the Linea TSV coral jacket with the matching elastic waist ponte knit black pants, high heel slingbacks and a JM Collection 3/4 sleeve top with the coral color in it (floral print scoopneck).

I didn't pay attention to what others wore, and my other two sons in attendance wore suits with dress shirts and ties;dress shoes on feet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

Goldie761370106228.2972825 PostsRegistered 5/19/2012
On 6/1/2013 JustJazzmom said:

I agree Goldie, its all about 'showing respect' to the graduates for all the hard work they have put into their education over the years spent at college or high school.

I wore to my son's Doctoral Physics degree ceremony in Philly the Linea TSV coral jacket with the matching elastic waist ponte knit black pants, high heel slingbacks and a JM Collection 3/4 sleeve top with the coral color in it (floral print scoopneck).

I didn't pay attention to what others wore, and my other two sons in attendance wore suits with dress shirts and ties;dress shoes on feet.

Beautiful, JJMom. In my mind's eye, all of you dressed in a manner appropriate to the occasion. I am not a stick-in-the-mud (honestly), but for some reason, I prefer the world to show up at special occasions and special places in a look that does not include jeans. I sound woefully behind the times, I know. I just like a more formal look at certain times.

By the way, congratulations to your son (and you) on earning a doctorate in physics (omigosh!). Also, Belle_Femme, congratulations to your son (and you) on this celebrative occasion of his graduation.

Last edited on 6/1/2013

Last edited on 6/1/2013

Barbara in­ Virginia1370109158.5377880 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

A graduation is an important rite of passage. And we have, throughout the ages, dressed in such a way as to recognize the importance of the rite of passage.

crdlb1370109283.1113190 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

Goldie, I think the only solution is for those of us who still feel like dressing nicely is important, to just keep doing it. That's what I do.

I think this in part came about because people didn't want to fuss over fabric care. Ironing is something of the past it seems. If can't go in the washer and dryer, most people don't have the time to deal with it.

I also think that there are economic factors--working women don't have the time to iron for each of the children every morning like my mother did.

Also, as more women went to college, we just got used to wearing our jeans and tees "uniform". We couldn't even wear pants to school until I was almost out of high school and then only on Fridays. And never jeans.

Dressing up got a bad rap as time-consuming, uncomfortable and expensive. Linea ladies know this doesn't have to be true.

DiAnne1370110202.8175929 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

I think there is a time and place for jeans. If jeans look good on you wear them. I see many people who should not be wearing jeans. My everyday uniform is dark jeans and a nice jacket. Having said that I do not wear jeans to the theater, ballet, opera, weddings, church, etc.

Last edited on 6/1/2013

Last edited on 6/1/2013

Goldie761370116255.6072825 PostsRegistered 5/19/2012
On 6/1/2013 DiAnne said:

I think there is a time and place for jeans. If jeans look good on you wear them. I see many people who should not be wearing jeans. My everyday uniform is dark jeans and a nice jacket. Having said that I do not wear jeans to the theater, ballet, opera, weddings, church, etc.

Last edited on 6/1/2013

DiAnne, I totally agree with your opinion on jeans. And I envy that you can carry off wearing them attractively with a good-looking jacket. There are jeans, and there are jeans, if you know what I mean. And from what I gather about your look, from what you have written on the boards, you are highly stylish. You can wear a look well that I cannot, in all honesty. Something tells me that you are always chic looking, no matter what you wear. In fact, I almost wrote something to you last evening when I was reading about another of your outfits on the "It Is May..." blog. Your style is what I wish I could wear well. Just adore the things you put together --- down to your jewelry. I remember Lauren Hutton and how she always looked perfectly turned out, and she was always in slacks or jeans, I think, wasn't she? (I don't know if you were young when she was.) Well-made clothing (and it doesn't have to be hideously expensive) just speaks for itself. As does style, which you and the other ladies who write on this board have. Believe me, sometimes I definitely don't feel worthy when I read what you all are wearing. But I try.

wildcat fan1370120494.0973696 PostsRegistered 1/18/2010

Personally, I became more disenchanted with the lace dress the more I wore it. I hand washed and did not put it in the dryer, yet it lost its shape. More care should have been put into the workmanship to secure the lining to the outer lace. I finally decided to return it when I looked down and noticed that the lining was about 7 inches higher than the lace. The lace stretched and the lining appeared to shrink over time. The zipper would also get stuck. So very disappointed with this one!

LDOlvr1370126239.9732101 PostsRegistered 6/4/2012Pacific NW for now.
On 6/1/2013 ogetoverit said:

You're fortunate to live where people dress up for graduations. Every one I've attended (high school and college) for the past 10 years, the adults were dressed super casual, tee shirts, jeans, no ties on the men, women all in crop pants or similar.

This photo of Bruce Willis at his daughter's graduation from Brown is typical.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

When my stepgrand-daughter Peyton graduated from high school last year, I was the only one in my husband's family who "dressed"....maxi dress, wedge sandals, shrug, nice purse. They were indeed slopily dressed in jeans, etc.

Trouble rides a fast horse....

k9mama1370130457.67723 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 6/1/2013 mschrief1 said:
On 6/1/2013 ogetoverit said:

When my stepgrand-daughter Peyton graduated from high school last year, I was the only one in my husband's family who "dressed"....maxi dress, wedge sandals, shrug, nice purse. They were indeed slopily dressed in jeans, etc.

How timely! My DD attended her high school's graduation this morning. Her first comment? "Mom, you wouldn't *believe* how some people dress for a graduation!" Apparently there were some sights to be seen, from very sloppy spectators, to one female guest wearing "a skin-tight, white, 'band-aid' dress that barely covered her...".

As to the Linea lace dress, I haven't had a chance to wear mine yet, but it is lovely.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Belle_Femme1370171801.143797 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007Indy
Goldie, thank you for your well wishes! I'm very proud of my son and agree that graduation is an occasion where one should dress appropriately for the solemnity of the occasion in honor of the graduates. There was a variety of dress, of course. But I was pleased to see many parents and relatives of the graduating class wore shirts, ties, and dress pants (men) and dresses or skirts with heels (women). I think those of us who believe in dressing for the occasion must continue to lead by example. It makes the younger generation take notice and perhaps think about how they wish to appear to others for their next outing.

Belle_Femme1370172154.7333797 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007Indy
JustJazzMom, congratulations on your son's graduation with a doctoral degree! That's an incredible accomplishment. (Especially in physics! Yikes.) Your outfit sounds wonderful. I love the coral jacket - the color is gorgeous. I bet your son was proud of how you looked.

Debbie14261370274642.2975361 PostsRegistered 9/12/2012
On 6/1/2013 Goldie76 said:
On 6/1/2013 JustJazzmom said:

Beautiful, JJMom. In my mind's eye, all of you dressed in a manner appropriate to the occasion. I am not a stick-in-the-mud (honestly), but for some reason, I prefer the world to show up at special occasions and special places in a look that does not include jeans. I sound woefully behind the times, I know. I just like a more formal look at certain times.

By the way, congratulations to your son (and you) on earning a doctorate in physics (omigosh!). Also, Belle_Femme, congratulations to your son (and you) on this celebrative occasion of his graduation.

Last edited on 6/1/2013

ITA Goldie!

JJMom, congratulations to you and your son on the great accomplishment! Sounds like the entire family dressed beautifully!

Page 1 of 1