Occasional Contributor

I am making this plea to a number of QVC fashion lines. My New Year's resolution is to buy products made in America. Would you please consider moving your manufacturing to the United States?

Respected Contributor

I agree. The price would most likely go up, but I would still buy the clothes.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/21/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I agree. The price would most likely go up, but I would still buy the clothes.

Totally agree!

Honored Contributor

I'm always for any company (no matter what) that attempts to have items (even if only a few) made in USA. It's a step in the right direction. It really is up to us consumers to applaud those companies. Made in USA has to begin somewhere, some place. If so, we will see a 'competition' among other companies to do the same.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

What? your making your request to the LCNY people? Come on, they can't afford to move their manufacturing here so don't even bother. Don't buy it if its that important to you. FYI there is next to nothing being manufactured here any longer. I suggest you select a different brand on QVC and make the request that they move their facilities back here.

Super Contributor

If you want made in America - buy yourself a sewing machine and take some sewing lessons.

Respected Contributor
On 12/26/2013 pelicangirl said:

I am making this plea to a number of QVC fashion lines. My New Year's resolution is to buy products made in America. Would you please consider moving your manufacturing to the United States?

Where do you think the fabric for these made in America clothes is going to come from. The fabric companies in this country closed decades ago. Clothes made in America with fabrics made in Mexico, China and Vietnam, I don't think that makes sense.
Honored Contributor

While I think it is a nice gesture, you are sending your request to the wrong group. If you are serious you should write letters (yes, letters) to your Senators, Congressmen, etc.

You should also address your letters to QVC, HSN and so on.

The way to make anyone understand anything is to use your purchasing power. That is a powerful statement that is also next to impossible.

If you've read any of the posts here over the past few years you should understand that it is very difficult to track down what is actually truly 'made in America'.

I guess the best anyone who is serious about purchasing made in America could start with QVC.

Most people never look at a label of anything they purchase. The reason people who buy things from QVC are aware of the 'made in China' label is because it comes right off of the boat (I suspect, it's not like I know).

Good luck. I applaud you for at least caring.

I will say that I am a believer in supporting small businesses. Whenever I can I shop at Mom & Pop stores in my area. Even that has become extremely difficult.

Super Contributor
On 2/15/2014 MarilynM said:
On 12/26/2013 pelicangirl said:

Where do you think the fabric for these made in America clothes is going to come from. The fabric companies in this country closed decades ago. Clothes made in America with fabrics made in Mexico, China and Vietnam, I don't think that makes sense.

Marilyn, there are still some fabric factories, but honestly I would rather we focus on educating our young people for those highly paid jobs that, believe it or not, we import from other countries! A factory worker makes pennies compared to the 6 figure jobs in technology that we have to give away to foreigners.

Super Contributor

Clothes made in America are pretty much non-existent anymore.

I try to buy American made footwear - Okibashi flip flops & clogs are made in Georgia (I have 12 pairs for the summer) and I scored a pair of LL Bean boots on the Bay that were made in Canada (close enough)!