Respected Contributor

Is Luminous The New Word For Shimmer?

I wish she would just come out and say this product has some shimmer/glitter instead of the word luminous. To me that doesn't mean shimmer, but every time I pick up one of her luminous whether it be blush of eye shadow it is just shimmer. Pleas Laura use the correct word it would be so much easier for us at home to vision.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is Luminous The New Word For Shimmer?

I think you hit the nail on the head. For LG, if she says it's luminous, it's glitter. I think she over applies makeup. She's still in the "theatrical" state of mind. Look at her makeup -- what is the white glittery blobs on the outer corner of her brow? It's too much.

Respected Contributor

On 7/13/2014 sparklestar said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. For LG, if she says it's luminous, it's glitter. I think she over applies makeup. She's still in the "theatrical" state of mind. Look at her makeup -- what is the white glittery blobs on the outer corner of her brow? It's too much.

Absolutely!

Honored Contributor

Luminous comes from the word for light. So I guess any effect that looks lighter could be called luminous. Personally I think shiny when I hear luminous.

Trusted Contributor

I think there can be a difference between luminous and glittery. I have many LG blushes, some are matte (or what she used to call sugar-free) which have no shimmer to them at all. But some of her non-matte blushes, which she calls luminous, to my eye have different amounts of shimmer. I don't consider any of them to be glittery, which is a whole other category of some blushes I wouldn't wear now. But perhaps these shiny, glittery, shimmering, luminous blushes are all in the eye of the beholder and it's a matter of semantics. I also think what may be glittery to one is simply luminous (that is less shimmery) to another.

BTW, these "luminous" blushes or whatever we choose to call them, used to be called "frosted" back in the day!

Regular Contributor

I agree, soonersis. I remember the "frosted" phase Wink I think it depends on the era and some marketing skills to name these products. I actually prefer Laura's products because some do have the frosted effects. I have very deep set eyes, and the matte shadows make me look old and tired.

Respected Contributor

I agree....just another word for ""glitter"" all the vendors are using the word ""luminous"" now.
Honored Contributor

I doubt it. Luminous is "the look" in make up now and it's definitely not sparkly or glittery. Sparkle went out years ago. Luminous is that "glowy" look, like there's a soft light on your face. I just bought a moisturizer that is supposed to "illuminate" the face.

Honored Contributor

I really love her French Vanilla highlighter, but aside from that, I find her products have too much shimmer, in general. There's a reason she makes a powder named "shimmer down" to tone down shimmer in products.

Super Contributor

Luminous is more ""pearly"" than shimmer.