Valued Contributor

Has Laura has sold her Company/products or just her Store location?

I didn't see her on the recent "beauty" day-- is Laura selling off her whole line? Should I stock up on her eye rimz? Her lipsticks? Her eyeshadows? I don't get that they are so proud of their products then poof- they disappear. So is her contract up with the Q too? Ulta has SOME of her stuff but not a huge selection. Are the formulas all going to change? {#emotions_dlg.sad} Am I not going to be a Geller Girl anymore?

Super Contributor

Re: Has Laura has sold her Company/products or just her Store location?

I think LG has a TSV soon ... why do you think she sold the company?

Honored Contributor

I saw her at night, on the Beauty Day.

Trusted Contributor

She was on Saturday afternoon, as well with her new stick blush. She didn't sell, she just took on an investor some time ago. The current store is shutting down, but they are looking for a new space, so it will re-open (per LG's Facebook).

Regular Contributor

Connecticut based private equity firm, Tengram Capital Partners, has become an investor in the cosmetic industry and acquired a stake in Laura Geller Makeup.

The brand has been sold on the direct-selling network, QVC for 15 years. It’s brick-and-mortar distribution consists of 600 Ulta doors, with plans for adding an additional 600 doors in the spring. Geller revealed that Ulta plans to double the brand’s merchandising space from its present three-foot gondola to a six-foot size.

The brand gained fame in the “primer” category with the release of a texture leveling pre-foundation product called spackle® (image left). It’s not a word most women choose to associate with their makeup products. But despite the name, it became the brand’s icon product and put them firmly in the public eye.

Geller said Tengram’s participation will allow the company to invest in marketing and advertising for the first time. “Marketing will enable the brand to have a bigger presence,” she said, noting that it also will allow her “to look at other retail opportunities,” as long as present relationships are not harmed.
The company is also looking to expand distribution overseas. The brand is only sold outside the U.S. through QVC (in the U.K., Italy and Germany). Geller acknowledged that eventually the company will be represented in department stores. “We are going to get to it,” she said.

Richard Gersten, a partner of TCP, shares that the goal is to grow the company “beyond the U.S., beyond QVC and beyond the product category,”, adding that Laura Geller Makeup will be kept within the prestige category.

Financial details of the deal were not disclosed. According to estimates by industry sources, Laura Geller Makeup generates $75 million in retail sales annually.

© 2012 Playing With Makeup™ - All Rights Reserved

Honored Contributor

well, hopefully they won't start selling to China or that will be another one crossed off my list. And hopefully they will actually get a customer service instead of calling the store and getting a sales rep from the store.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I read it was an investor rather than a full sale of the company.
Honored Contributor

On 5/22/2014 LindseyTaylor said:

Connecticut based private equity firm, Tengram Capital Partners, has become an investor in the cosmetic industry and acquired a stake in Laura Geller Makeup.

The brand has been sold on the direct-selling network, QVC for 15 years. It’s brick-and-mortar distribution consists of 600 Ulta doors, with plans for adding an additional 600 doors in the spring. Geller revealed that Ulta plans to double the brand’s merchandising space from its present three-foot gondola to a six-foot size.

The brand gained fame in the “primer” category with the release of a texture leveling pre-foundation product called spackle® (image left). It’s not a word most women choose to associate with their makeup products. But despite the name, it became the brand’s icon product and put them firmly in the public eye.

Geller said Tengram’s participation will allow the company to invest in marketing and advertising for the first time. “Marketing will enable the brand to have a bigger presence,” she said, noting that it also will allow her “to look at other retail opportunities,” as long as present relationships are not harmed.
The company is also looking to expand distribution overseas. The brand is only sold outside the U.S. through QVC (in the U.K., Italy and Germany). Geller acknowledged that eventually the company will be represented in department stores. “We are going to get to it,” she said.

Richard Gersten, a partner of TCP, shares that the goal is to grow the company “beyond the U.S., beyond QVC and beyond the product category,”, adding that Laura Geller Makeup will be kept within the prestige category.

Financial details of the deal were not disclosed. According to estimates by industry sources, Laura Geller Makeup generates $75 million in retail sales annually.

© 2012 Playing With Makeup™ - All Rights Reserved

Thanks for the article. "Listening" to posters who don't have clue about anything is always dangerous.....LOL

Honored Contributor

On 5/22/2014 HappyDaze said:

well, hopefully they won't start selling to China or that will be another one crossed off my list. And hopefully they will actually get a customer service instead of calling the store and getting a sales rep from the store.

Would selling her product in China be a bad thing?

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the information LindseyTaylor! Our local Ulta has a really good selection, but the rep never shows up. Maybe under this company's direction that will change! Smile