Occasional Contributor

Longtime Beauty Junkie, new to LG. Some thoughts on 3 products

So, a disclaimer. I was a professional make-up artist for many years in a prestige store, for a well known brand. I have tried every brand imaginable and keep my finger on the pulse of cosmetics and trends. I also freelance occasionally. I am not loyal to one brand, I pick and choose based on color payoff, quality ingredients, and performance. I'll bet most of you do the same thing! Smiley Happy

I have resisted Laura Geller for many years. The packaging and product seemed a little cheesy to me. But, I caved on the double balance and brighten with huge kabuki brush.

Balance and Brighten:

I am very fair, like Nicole Kidman, with dark blonde hair! I have yellow undertones and ruddiness in the cheeks. So, I ordered the porcelain to be safe as I can always add bronzer or contour with a darker shade. I did notice that the Fair choice had paraffin wax listed as an ingredient, so I did not want to chance a break out with that one. Oddly, I have noticed on LG's other sites that it is not an ingredient in the fair, but on QVC it is. I wish the European Union versions were available in the US, as they have better, safer ingredient choices. Okay, that's another topic, for another day.

The subtle shimmer is pretty (from the MICA), but in using this for the last week or so, I have noticed that I must keep this away from between my brows, under my eyes, and around the chin and mouth, since the sheen accentuates tiny lines that I didn't know I had! I think the talc also plays into that a bit. I'm only 35 and never go in the sun, so I have very nice skin and most people think I am in my early 20's.

Also, one of my compacts is VERY pink, almost like a light blush, but the other one seems to have more swirls of yellow.

Bronze and Brighten:

I also caved on the supersize option and ordered the fair. IT IS VERY PINK! I'm talking blush pink! So, that will be going back and I will try the regular shade, in hopes that it isn't as blush like. I'm looking to use the bronzer to contour. On the presentation, Laura claimed that it would be great to use the different shades for light and dark eye shadow and the darkest of shades wetted as a liner. I tried that, holy irritated eyes!

Just FYI ladies! I did notice that Macy's is offering a supersize kit, with Bronze, spackle, split pan highlighter and 2 brushes for only $49. So, that blows this supersize QVC special out of the water! I am curious about the spackle (primers usually cause me to break out, so we shall see) and the highlighter.

Golden Skies Eye Shadow:

Received this yesterday and have used it twice. The color payoff is not that great, I'm used to really high quality pigments. All of the options are very shimmery and the colors seem to muddle into one another. The dark shade does works well wet, as a liner. Again, my eyes have been so irritated on both days! The Portofino highlighter is very pretty and I used that in all the trick places that makeup artists share.

Valued Contributor

Re: Longtime Beauty Junkie, new to LG. Some thoughts on 3 products

Hi. I have 2 bronze and brightens and then another split pan with Balance and Brighten and Balance and Bronze (Bronze and Brighten) and none of mine are pink. These can vary. I try to pick them in person because I am so fair I don't want a dark one! If you are fair like Nicole Kidman I would try a new Fair and NOT Regular. It is completely unwearable on me. I ordered during her last sale and got good ones. Well, I guess regular may work for you if you only want to contour with it. I have the same problem with her products around my eyes! I can't wear any Balance and brighten Bronze and brighten or any of her highlighters around my eyes. I have to set my eye concealer with something else. Thankfully I have no problem with her eyeshadows. Today I am wearing shades from a compact just like yours. Mine is Smoke & Ice with 3 grey shades and a highlighter. Mine has pretty good payoff. They are not as creamy or pigmented as my Lorac shadows but they are nice. Sorry you had problems. At least you can wear the Portifino around your eyes. I have a real problem with Spackle! Hopefully you won't. It gives me deep painful cystic acne. I kept retrying it and it happened every time.
Occasional Contributor

I had read that they can vary and was prepared for that. I had also read reviews from many long time users that had noticed even the regular bronze has been much more pink recently.

I forgot that I also ordered a split pan regular balance and regular bronze duo with the double ended brush. I've been using the regular balance as a contour, since it's more yellow and not pink. The medium or regular bronze on both of the pans is still very pink and even mixing helps calm the pink tones. I think I may just have to forego the bronze and brighten all together. For being so pale, it is hard for me to find shades with yellow undertones. I usually do quite well with brands that cater to pale shades with yellow undertones. My go to liquid foundation is Nars Sheer Glow in Siberia.

Thanks for the warning on the spackle. Cystic acne is not fun!

Honored Contributor

Bal and Brt. always looked very muddy on me. I think Geller makes a pretty product in pretty packaging, but the quality is not always there.

Super Contributor

The bronze and brighten always came out muddy on me, and maybe I just didn't have the skill to use it well; I tried it back when they only had regular and fair. As for the eyeshadow I did not purchase the bronzes because I had enough brown BUT I have three of those compacts and notices after several uses of all of them that there is a difference in quality--the amethyst skies is very well pigmented with good color payoff, and so is the fire and ice, but one of mine, sahara skies I think it is called, it has a dark brown, a gold, and a wine shade, do not have good payoff at all, even with the brush wet, it does not last, not like the others! I haven't figured out why that one doesn't last. I wish it did because I do love the colors.

Valued Contributor

SK8 Girl I have both Sahara Skies and Fire & Ice. What do you do with that highlight in Fire and Ice? It has a grey cast and looks hideous on my fair skin. On my Sahara Skies the burgundy blends out brown and the brown blends out an ugly muddy greyish brown. I wish I would have sent it back. Smiley Sad. I now have some lovely burgundy shades from LORAC and Too Faced but at the time that was the only burgundy I could find. I do like the Portifino in it.
Respected Contributor

I am medium fair. Not Nicole Kidman, but still in the fair family. I have green eyes and have light brown hair w highlights. The brown in my hair has always had warm -golden undertones and my skin has a yellow undertone. I have found LG's Real Deal concealer much to orange and I ordered the Fair. I know blend it w/ a light foundatiom My last purchase of Balance and Brighten in Fair was also to dark/orange. My first purchase of BnB in fair years ago was perfect!

Can anyone tell me if the Porcelain is simply too pale if I find the Fair to dark?

Honored Contributor

I'd like to find something I can put on my cheekbone (top above the cheek stain) that will give my cheeks more of a shine.

I have a Mally pod that I use for my nose (I run it down the middle of my nose to the tip of it (my nose). It is silver looking but gives my face a youthful appearance. It works perfectly.

However, it doesn't seem to work well on my cheeks. I don't like it. I can't wear any kind of powders (used most of them). I am 67 years old. I have very few wrinkles (I swear by Dr. Denese's products and I use Philosophy salt scrub every 2 days in the shower).

I'm sorry, I got off track talking about my lack of BIG wrinkles. I do have fine lines that any kind of powder just loves to flow in to. So, I've sworn off all powders.

Any ideas on what would work (cream-wise) maybe like Mally's pods that would give my cheeks the lift I think they need?

Thanks ahead of time. I hope I'm OK, asking on this thread. I just saw where the OP was a professional makeup artist and I took my chances.

If I'm being a pain, please forgive me. Annabelle/Linda

Super Contributor

On 4/5/2014 Cardamom said: SK8 Girl I have both Sahara Skies and Fire & Ice. What do you do with that highlight in Fire and Ice? It has a grey cast and looks hideous on my fair skin. On my Sahara Skies the burgundy blends out brown and the brown blends out an ugly muddy greyish brown. I wish I would have sent it back. Smiley Sad. I now have some lovely burgundy shades from LORAC and Too Faced but at the time that was the only burgundy I could find. I do like the Portifino in it.

While I do like all three of the eyeshadows in the fire and ice, I have never been able to use that highlighter! I totally agree with you, it has a grayish cast to it; if I ever did use it, I'd consider in the center of the eyelid as a highlight or possibly under the brow but definitely not anywhere on the face! That is the only LG highlighter I haven't liked. It came with a nude lipstick which I was unable to use too! It was a naked nude that looked like concealer on the lips. I am a fan of the LG line, even though it may not sound like it. I have taken a huge liking to the Italian marble lipsticks. I have bought one trio several times as I continue to love these lipsticks. I have also wanted to try LORAC!! I hear lots of good things.

Valued Contributor

SK8 Girl I didn't get that nude lipstick. I can only imagine that grey highlight on my face and a nude lipstick I'd look like I would be ready to be placed in my casket! If you want some beautiful shades that are like Sahara Skies, browns, bronzes, golden, burgundy, mauve. I highly recommend the Lorac Unzipped palette. They are highly pigmented, smooth, soft, creamy and blend like a dream. They are the best shadows I've ever used. They are only $2 more than a Baked Elements palette and you get 10 shadows. I think there are 4 mattes. I believe Ulta just lowered the price on these from $42 to $40. Like Laura's you can use these wet or dry. They are so beautiful and pigmented as is the only time I wet mine are to use them as liner, but you could!