Valued Contributor

Laura Geller's Luminous products Vs. Hourglass Ambient Lighting

It seems those Hourglass finishing powders are all the rage. I have to admit I am curious. I do have Laura's body frosting in Sugar Glow (golden) and I know she used to have one in Angel Glow (pink) also colors offered in the Hourglass line. She also has the Champagne Spackle which she says mimics candlelight. Unfortunately I can't wear her Spackle. It gives me cystic acne. I have Portifino highlighter (champagne color) but I think that has way too much sheen so I don't think I could use it as an all over face powder. Just curious if anyone has used those powders and or or Laura's products. I am hoping she comes out with her own ambient lighting powders since these products I mention no longer seem to be available.

Contributor

Re: Laura Geller's Luminous products Vs. Hourglass Ambient Lighting

Sugar glow and angel glow are both available on Laura's website. She's also offering $10 off a $65 purchase on the site.
Valued Contributor

On 3/19/2014 Beauty99 said: Sugar glow and angel glow are both available on Laura's website. She's also offering $10 off a $65 purchase on the site.
Thank you! I didn't think she made that anymore. Darn. I just got a ton of her stuff during the 50% off sale. I wonder if that was on sale. Do you know if it is the same as Hourglass Ambient Mood light? It actually would be the same price as the Hourglass. There may be a ton more product though.
Frequent Contributor

I have a couple of Hourglass ambient lighting powders as well as Laura Geller's sugar glow. To me the Hourglass products are much more sheer and wearable for over entire face as a finishing powder with just a light kiss of color. The LG powder is much more dense and pigmented and I can only use it with a very light touch to specific areas - not all over as it has A LOT of sheen/shimmer. I will say that I prefer the sugar glow as a body product - looks gorgeous on the shoulders and legs. Both are nice, just depends if you want an all over product or more if an intense highlighter. The Hourglass powders can be applied multiple times throughout the day without buildup. I also have and LOVE the new Hourglass blush which is a combo of blush and ambient lighting powder - beautiful. Hope this helps you decide !
Valued Contributor

On 3/19/2014 Macallanmom said: I have a couple of Hourglass ambient lighting powders as well as Laura Geller's sugar glow. To me the Hourglass products are much more sheer and wearable for over entire face as a finishing powder with just a light kiss of color. The LG powder is much more dense and pigmented and I can only use it with a very light touch to specific areas - not all over as it has A LOT of sheen/shimmer. I will say that I prefer the sugar glow as a body product - looks gorgeous on the shoulders and legs. Both are nice, just depends if you want an all over product or more if an intense highlighter. The Hourglass powders can be applied multiple times throughout the day without buildup. I also have and LOVE the new Hourglass blush which is a combo of blush and ambient lighting powder - beautiful. Hope this helps you decide !
Thank you so much! Yes, I see what you are saying. I could not use the Body Frostings or the highlighter especially all over although I do use Tahitian glow all over my face lightly. It would be nice to have that glow without the darkness of bronzer and sugar glow is too gold. Which powders did you get and which one do you like the most?
Frequent Contributor

On 3/20/2014 Cardamom said:
On 3/19/2014 Macallanmom said: I have a couple of Hourglass ambient lighting powders as well as Laura Geller's sugar glow. To me the Hourglass products are much more sheer and wearable for over entire face as a finishing powder with just a light kiss of color. The LG powder is much more dense and pigmented and I can only use it with a very light touch to specific areas - not all over as it has A LOT of sheen/shimmer. I will say that I prefer the sugar glow as a body product - looks gorgeous on the shoulders and legs. Both are nice, just depends if you want an all over product or more if an intense highlighter. The Hourglass powders can be applied multiple times throughout the day without buildup. I also have and LOVE the new Hourglass blush which is a combo of blush and ambient lighting powder - beautiful. Hope this helps you decide !
Thank you so much! Yes, I see what you are saying. I could not use the Body Frostings or the highlighter especially all over although I do use Tahitian glow all over my face lightly. It would be nice to have that glow without the darkness of bronzer and sugar glow is too gold. Which powders did you get and which one do you like the most?
Hi, my favorite Hourglass powder is the Ethereal Light which is described as being opalescencent sheer cool. My coloring is light skin with pink undertones. I also have Dim Light which has more beige. Really just depends on what your coloring is. The Hourglass blush I have is Ethereal Glow - it is a light pink swirled with the Ethereal Light powder. I use it over any of my other blushes to add a beautiful glow. The actual blushes in the pans are so pretty and some are more pigmented than others. Sephora has a free app that you can download and see all of the Hourglass products, as well as so many great brands. I'm sure you will find something that you will love Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

On 3/20/2014 Macallanmom said:
On 3/20/2014 Cardamom said:
Hi, my favorite Hourglass powder is the Ethereal Light which is described as being opalescencent sheer cool. My coloring is light skin with pink undertones. I also have Dim Light which has more beige. Really just depends on what your coloring is. The Hourglass blush I have is Ethereal Glow - it is a light pink swirled with the Ethereal Light powder. I use it over any of my other blushes to add a beautiful glow. The actual blushes in the pans are so pretty and some are more pigmented than others. Sephora has a free app that you can download and see all of the Hourglass products, as well as so many great brands. I'm sure you will find something that you will love Smiley Happy

Thank you so much! I'm fair too with pink undertones. I was trying to choose between the Ethereal and the yellow one, Diffused. I was thinking it might cut the pink a bit.

I pulled up all the reviews from fair people. Many people left reviews both good and bad, saying what they loved or hated and then did not mention what the color was! And then some people said they got the Ambient. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I actually live a few minutes from Sephora so I am going to check them out. I'd like to see what the SA's would pick for me although I think I have an idea of what I would like. There is a guy one youtube who did a video on them (Dustin Hunter) and he has the exact same coloring and he had them all so that was helpful.

Frequent Contributor

Hey Cardamom, let me know how your Sephora trip goes and which Hourglass products you brought home. Their "Veil Mineral" primer is wonderful also if you are in the market for a primer.
New Contributor

I have LG portifino highlighter and I use that often in the warm weather but during the winter it was too much. I recently purchased the Hourglass Ethereal face powder, and it is much more delicate, if that makes sense. in the right light it's there? it makes you look healthy but not shiny. I am very fair with pink undertones? highly recommend the HG. I also have sensitive skin and have had no issues with it.
Frequent Contributor

On 3/20/2014 piiinkpiiink said: I have LG portifino highlighter and I use that often in the warm weather but during the winter it was too much. I recently purchased the Hourglass Ethereal face powder, and it is much more delicate, if that makes sense. in the right light it's there? it makes you look healthy but not shiny. I am very fair with pink undertones? highly recommend the HG. I also have sensitive skin and have had no issues with it.
That's exactly how I feel - the Ethereal is such a soft feminine color and it gives such a beautiful finish. I have other Hourglass products and am really impressed with the entire line. Well worth the prices.