Honored Contributor

I have been playing around with homemade enchilada sauce for a while. Some recipes, while delicious, were too involved. This is a very simple recipe that really has as many uses as your imagination can provide.

1 T olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can Swanson less sodium chicken broth (14.5 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
1-2 T chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce (to taste)
1 t chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t Kosher salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper

Heat saucepan over med heat. Add oil and garlic stirring about 1 minute. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 7-10 minutes.

You can change the amounts to what your family likes. I sometimes blend the chipotle chili to a smooth consistency. I freeze in small amounts. It comes in handy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, DiAnne!

Valued Contributor

Sounds great. Thank you!

Valued Contributor

Thanks, DiAnne!! Sounds good. I love enchiladas, but I don't usually care for the canned sauce too much. Smile

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2015 05gage25 said:

Thanks, DiAnne!! Sounds good. I love enchiladas, but I don't usually care for the canned sauce too much. Smile

That is what started me - those canned or packages sauces. This is just an easy everyday sauce - nothing gourmet about it. You can make enchiladas out of anything.

Super Contributor

Thanks so much for this recipe. I wanted to make enchiladas but had no idea how to make the sauce. Now I do....

Respected Contributor

This sounds so much better than canned, and so much easier than the "authentic" recipes that my Mexican friends have given me....

Honored Contributor
On 4/11/2015 Mothertrucker said:

This sounds so much better than canned, and so much easier than the "authentic" recipes that my Mexican friends have given me....

I know what you mean. This is definitely not authentic! I had a couple of recipes where you start with dried chiles.

Respected Contributor

I want to thank you again for this- I made it today and am enjoying the cheese enchiladas I made right now as I type this- its easy and its good- I must say, I simmered it a lot longer than called for cause I like mine thicker..delicioso!!!

Honored Contributor

Mothertrucker - Glad you enjoyed it. I thought about adding a little cornstarch but never tried it. I have a container of it in the freezer right now.