Honored Contributor

Could Use Some Help to Open a Sealed Weck Jar

This is somewhat embarrassing because I cannot go to the kind person who gave me a lovely gift of preserves for advice. After cleaning out my fridge a few days ago, I found a Weck canning jar like the one in the image posted below that still has preserves in it. A friend gave me the preserves and requested that I return the jar after I had eaten all the preserves. Since so much time has passed between when I initially opened the jar and now, I decided that I would clean out the jar and return it to the person who gave the gift to me.

I cannot get the jar open.

Since I do not preserve anything, I have no idea how to break the seal again. Obviously I do not want to break the jar. I've tried placing a knife in between the lid/seal and the jar, but I have had no success. The thing has soaked for days in soapy water, and I still cannot budge it.

Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Weck 2.7 oz. Canning Jar

Trusted Contributor

Re: Could Use Some Help to Open a Sealed Weck Jar

Put it in a pot of boilng water,maybe that will loosen it up.
Respected Contributor

It looks like those clips pop out, just run some warm water over it and pull those tabs out. The rubber gasket is probably just sticky from the jam. I've never seen those exact kind of jars, usually I see clamps.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Just pull the rubber ring tab that sticks out. That's all there is to it. But yes, remove the metal clips first if she gave them to you. I never store my weck jars with the metal clips attached though.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Can you remove the clips? If you can, then try slipping a butter knife or icing spatula between the seal and the glass. That will allow for oxygen get in to release the seal. If not, just return it to her saying that you can't get it open, but loved the preserves.

Respected Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIhvcYkVZM4

~~
Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 jaxs mom said:

Just pull the rubber ring tab that sticks out. That's all there is to it. But yes, remove the metal clips first if she gave them to you. I never store my weck jars with the metal clips attached though.

They look interesting. Are these kind of regional or new? I've never even known anyone that uses these/

~~
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 debc said:
On 3/30/2015 jaxs mom said:

They look interesting. Are these kind of regional or new? I've never even known anyone that uses these/

They're originally from Germany. They've been around for about 100 years. You can buy them in the US from weckjars.com that's where I've bought all mine.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Just thinking.. Perhaps stick it in the freezer the rubber seal may shrink down ,heat maybe making the seal swell up slightly.Canning jars are tough. A little cold won't hurt ,be careful don't drop it..It is frustrating especially when an item isn't yours! Good luck .,will be interested to see what worked... Maryanne
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all who sent a hint my way. So far, nothing has worked. I had removed the clips before attempting to take the lid off the first time; unfortunately, I stored the jar in the fridge with those clips on. Maybe that was where I went wrong.

Why don't I just hand it back and say I cannot open it? Because I had one bite, and that was that. The cook prepared a preserve with a spicy tartness -- I don't like spice. I am embarrassed to hand back an almost totally uneaten gift of food. This is not a comment on her cooking skills but on my lame palate. I just don't "do" spicy because, plain and simple, I just don't like it.

I'll probably end up having to buy a new jar. However, the one I have is not as squat as the one I copied and posted. It was the closest to the look of the jar, though.