Respected Contributor

Paging RespectLife & all my QVC pals .........."Baklava Cheesecake"

If you enjoy Greek traditional Baklava, you will really love this Baklava Cheesecake.

I made this and wanted to decide if it really was worthy of our Greek Easter Celebration this year.

This will definitely be on our Easter Menu for as one of the featured desserts...and is so delicious it will be made often for any occasion, and also for "just because".

RespectLife it was, and still is exceptionally delicious, and I hope you and all our QVC pals also make it.

I am answering the questions I know you will ask.....No it is not hard RespectLife, and no it is not intimidating at all, and yes phyllo is very forgiving.

Just follow directions especially for keeping phyllo covered, so it does not dry out as you prepare it for this recipe.

BAKLAVA CHEESECAKE RECIPE

Filling:

1 pkg phyllo dough (14 thin sheets)

4 cups cream cheese, softened

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1-1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup whole milk

2 cups unsalted butter,clarified,for brushing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nut mixture:

2 cups blanched almonds,finely chopped

2 cups walnuts,finely chopped

1/2 cup Greek pistachio nuts,finely chopped

1 cup sugar

1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the syrup:

1 cup Greek thyme honey (I use regular honey).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For serving:

Powdered sugar and ground cinnamon (optional)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to cook:

• Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).

• Using a mixer, cream together the cream cheese and 1 ½ cups sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, vanilla and mix till fluffy.
  • In a small mixing bowl, add all the finely chopped nuts, ground cinnamon and ¾ cup sugar. With a spatula, mix well and set aside.
  • In the cream cheese and sugar mixture add the flour and then the milk. Mix for 1 minute and set aside.
  • In an oblong glass Pyrex bake ware dish, butter the bottom and sides. Carefully, open the phyllo and grab half of the sheets in the package. Wrap the remainder in a damp cloth and set in cool area to avoid drying.
  • Begin adding 1 sheet at a time making sure to butter each sheet with a pastry brush. The sheets will not fit completely in the dish and will be used at the end by folding over all the sides to seal in the cheese batter.
  • After the first 4 phyllo sheets have been placed, sprinkle part of the nut mix over the entire sheet fourth sheet. Repeat this process 3 more times (add phyllo sheet, butter and sprinkle the nut mix). At this point you have used half of the nut mix.Add one more phyllo sheet with butter only (no nuts).
  • Add the cream cheese batter over the phyllo sheet and spread evenly with a spatula.
  • Sprinkle the remaining nut mix over the cream cheese batter.
  • Begin folding over the phyllo sheets that are lying on the sides of the dish making sure to butter each layer.
  • Then lay the remaining6 phyllo sheets, placing them one at a time, fitting the dish exactly and then folding the remaining part it over (tucking in the sides under if necessary). Don’t forget to butter each layer.
  • Over the top sprinkle a little water with your fingers.
  • Bake for 70 minutes.
  • In a small pot over a low heat warm the 1 cup of Greek honey.
  • When the cheesecake baklava is ready let it set for 10 minutes and then pour the warm honey over the top.
  • Cool for 3-4 hours before cutting. Optional: before serving pour a bit more of the warm honey.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Paging RespectLife & all my QVC pals ..........""Baklava Cheesecake""

OMG now you have really gone overboard,this sounds so GOOD and I am sure all these steps are worth every bite.
Esteemed Contributor

OMG

Just the name of it sounds like nirvana.

I love to cook but this is beyond my culinary skills.

You have managed to make me hungry at 4 in the morning

where's my coffee.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 spud188 said: OMG now you have really gone overboard,this sounds so GOOD and I am sure all these steps are worth every bite.

Hi spud188,

When you love to experiment, create, prepare, serve, and enjoy various foods as my husband and I do.....Yes at times with different recipes we do go overboard.

It is definitely worth the time to create this delicious tasty dessert, so get ready, create, serve, enjoy, and await the compliments, because they definitely will come{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 hopi said:

OMG

Just the name of it sounds like nirvana.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I love to cook but this is beyond my culinary skills.

You have managed to make me hungry at 4 in the morning{#emotions_dlg.scared}

where's my coffee.

No hopi it is not beyond your culinary skills.

It really is easy to make if you follow the very detailed directions.

I get hungry just thinking about how delicious this was......and am looking forward to how delicious it will be at my Greek Easter Dinner Celebration.

Coffee would definitely go very well with this delicious mouth watering scrumptious flaky dessert.

I do hope you will consider this as it really is not a hard recipe to follow, and if I can help give me a shout out.

Respected Contributor

Open this link below and look at the step by step video in English which shows how easy it is to make this Greek Cheesecake Baklava dessert.

Also that Greek web site has some mouth watering delicious Greek recipes as they are made in Greece, in the USA, and globally.

I hope the step by step video and audio in English enables those who feel a bit intimidated to see how easy it really is to make and enjoy this delicious decadent Greek dessert........and I hope everyone will try it.

http://www.greekrecipes.tv/254/baklava-with-cheescake

Respected Contributor

Hopi---- although this is a decadent desert, it is very easy to make.....the only part that should be precise is the cheesecake batter and the rest is simply assembly. Almost falls into the category of no-fail....Good luck....you can do it !

Honored Contributor

Oh my! Sniff, Sniff...this is my first 'page' LOL

Thank you my friend....I may just get the nerve to try this for this weekend's church meeting. It has been on my mind...and my heart! I pulled this recipe from the link you gave me on a previous chat we were having.

My kids won't eat any kind of nuts so I would prefer to make it when it will be appreciated! LOL

I have the ingredients written down....

Thank you!!!

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 RespectLife said:

Oh my! Sniff, Sniff...this is my first 'page' LOL

Thank you my friend....I may just get the nerve to try this for this weekend's church meeting. It has been on my mind...and my heart! I pulled this recipe from the link you gave me on a previous chat we were having.

My kids won't eat any kind of nuts so I would prefer to make it when it will be appreciated! LOL

I have the ingredients written down....

Thank you!!!

Again you are most welcome RespectLife,

Thanks for having a previous chat about this recipe.

Did anyone from the chat already make it?

Good luck and if you wish if you make it for the family you can make it 1/2 without and the other half with nuts...

Just score it with something that stands out like making an X on the right and an X on the left of the pan where the nuts begin, so you know not to serve the kids from that side of the baking pan.

Again ensure you score before it goes in the oven but not to the bottom of the pan, then afterwards again when it has baked, but the second time cutting down to the bottom of the pan so removal will be very tidy and easy taking into consideration the flaky phyllo leaves, should not be disturbed too much after having been baked.

RespectLife you also have the option of not adding any nuts if you prefer and it will still be just fine.

Please page me if you need more help and when you do prepare it please let me know, and enjoy it as it will be well worth the effort.

Have a great day my friend, and take good care.

Trusted Contributor

Oh my goodness, Adore. Two of the words that always stop me in my tracks! I have copied and pasted the recipe into a Word document. I must try this soon!