Honored Contributor
Hi Ladies! I've been doing my research into bone broth and my first two tries, one in chicken soup and one in beef, were REALLY DELICIOUS. Yesterday I pressure cooked a whole chicken carcass, and this morning when I skimmed the fat and went through the bones with my fingers, I found that a lot of the bones had actually disintegrated. That's supposed to make better tasting, healthier bone broth, so I like that idea, but has anyone actually done it? Somehow the idea of consuming the bones seems a little off putting to me, but the soup tastes great and "they" say that bone broth soups are a great source of calcium. I value your input!
Honored Contributor

I have never heard of bone broth but when I made chicken stock I cook for about 5 or 6 hours at a low temp so I have a gelatinous consistency when it is cooled. Is this the same thing?

Honored Contributor
Yes, exactly! The gel is part of the goodness of the bones- the minerals. I was just surprised that there were so few solid bones left in mine.
Honored Contributor

Has anyone done what? Eaten bone broth? I only make chicken stock from leftover carcasses and I usually cook it for 10-24 hours and then pressure can it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Occasional Contributor

I cook the chicken carcass overnight in my Ninja on low slow cooker setting and get some great stock that way. I use a lot of it and freeze what I can't use right away.

In the morning when I take the bones out, they just fall apart, so I just strain it into a container and put it in the fridge before I go to work. Then when I get home, I strain the fat off.

I have a lot of food allergies, so I cook at lot.

Yum yum!!

Respected Contributor

Years ago I had a neighbor who was Italian and used to buy cows feet from her butcher. She used to make bone broth and it became very gelatinous. She said she would add it to many soups and stews for added flavor.

I never sampled it but did watch her prepare it and found it fascinating.

I also heard many people of various Mediterranean heritage make lamb shanks and after the shanks have braised and cooked, they take a sharp pointy object like a shish kebob skewer and slowly pull out the bone marrow which they say is really nutritious and very delicious.

I have never had the urge to try the above myself, so I cannot comment on the taste factor.

Valued Contributor

I have a friend who makes her own bone broth and she adds two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, which is used to draw the minerals out of the bones.

Honored Contributor
On 3/4/2015 jaxs mom said:

Has anyone done what? Eaten bone broth? I only make chicken stock from leftover carcasses and I usually cook it for 10-24 hours and then pressure can it.

Hi jaxs mom- what concerned me was that almost all of the bones wound up as part of my broth. I know that there are no HARD pieces of bone left, but it concerned me a little bit tat almost all of the bones had disintegrated and were in the soup. We had some for lunch though and it was delicious, so I guess it's fine. i KNOW it's healthy. Thanks for all your comments, Ladies!