Honored Contributor

? On shelf life of liquid extracts

finally after a 5 week wait my new fridge is being delivered Smiley Happy!!! I'm taking things out of the freezer section & I have a good asst of liquid extracts (McCormick) which I keep in small lock n lock containers (in original boxes & bottles)I just noticed some are from 2013 -- would they still be good? I tried to find answer on Google but kept coming up for pure vanilla only. I keep that (from Mexico) in my fridge. Thanks as always I know I'll get the right answers here & hopefully won't be disappointed in getting the French door style fridge!
Honored Contributor

Re: ? On shelf life of liquid extracts

I don't have the answer for you but I never knew you were supposed to put extracts in the freezer or fridge. Mine have always just been in the cupboard.

Honored Contributor

I didn't think extracts had a shelf life.

I've always kept them in the cabinet too.

Honored Contributor

I have a feeling that since they've been frozen, they are just fine. You might want to email the company and make sure you mention that the extracts have been frozen. I keep my extracts in a cool pantry, unopened. In the fridge, opened.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 2/28/2015 DiAnne said:

I don't have the answer for you but I never knew you were supposed to put extracts in the freezer or fridge. Mine have always just been in the cupboard.

Me too, always have kept my extracts in the pantry, same as my mother did. I also have a bottle of vanilla extract from Mexico and it's many years old (much older than 2013) and it still tastes and smells just fine. Since extracts have an alcohol content they have a long shelf life.

Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2015 brii said:

I didn't think extracts had a shelf life.

I've always kept them in the cabinet too.

Oh and I checked on every bottle & box and no expiration dates, therefore, you may be right.
Honored Contributor

Yes, the alcohol content preserves just about everything, including ourselves.....(lol). Well, one never knows for sure..........Alcohol does have anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and other anti-properties. It makes sense to me, having it circulate throughout our system, warding off all kinds of bad micro-organisms. (With the explicit exception of folks who are allergic/and cannot medically and safely tolerate it (addictions, etc.), of course.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I have a bottle of Mexican vanilla I have had for about 7 yrs and it is just as good as the day I got it. It is such a huge bottle that I haven't even used half of it. Many people say they get better with age like wine. I have a friend who has a huge bottle of Mexican vanilla and it is about 15 yrs old and she still uses it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I use vanilla, lemon, raspberry and mint extracts a lot and have always kept them in my cupboard. I make my own iced tea and often add extracts to them (especially mint or raspberry). I'll have to check but don't recall an expiration date on the bottles or an indication they should be refrigerated after opening.

Thanks for posting this topic.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

It is an alcohol, so it ages very well. That is why they are in a dark bottle.