Honored Contributor

I need a recommended online site to order a food gift basket for a friend who just lost his mother. I will be out of the state for the funeral, and I don't want to send flowers or a plant. I'd like to stay around $35-$45. Any recommendations? TIA!

Frequent Contributor
Harry and David
Contributor

I second Harry & David. I always use them for sympathy gifts and the food is always sent quickly and in good condition. It is a little pricier than some other options but if you look for online promo codes sometimes you can get free shipping.

Super Contributor

When my mom passed away my bff lived in another state. She sent me a Honeybaked ham. It was so nice to have after the funeral. It was a small funeral as my mother was quite elderly and most of her friends had already passed. I got a salad, rolls and mac and cheese at Costco. My family loved it and I loved it because I didn't have to do anything special.

When my next door neighbor passed away I got one of the quarter hams for her husband so he would have something to eat and not have to cook.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone! I went with Harry and David. Their customer service by live chat was amazing!

Honored Contributor

1800baskets

or

pittmananddavis.com

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

No matter what you choose from Harry and David, it will look beautiful. Also, to let you know, they guarantee everything. My daughter gets holiday baskets for the kids from her husbands gramma. Sometimes, (since we live in CA_) the chocolates have been melted to smithereens. Especially at Easter! She calls the CS, and they send a new basket

Respected Contributor

I would do a Honey Baked Ham. It could be easily frozen for later use.

Super Contributor
Another good one is a Cheese and meat basket. It can be refrigerated and won't go to waste.
Trusted Contributor
Whatever you do, don't use 1-800Flowers. A few years back, I ordered a large Hydrangea arrangement to send to a friend who lost her mom. They sent the correct card, but the wrong gift. The card said "My deepest sympathies to you and your family. I hope this provides a little lift in this moment of sadness." They sent 2 dozen yellow, smiley-face balloons. I didn't hear about it for a year, and from another friend. I was mortified.