Honored Contributor

Oster Extra Large Convection/Toaster oven

The one you buy at Walmart for 99.00. I bought Wed. because it's double the size of the small ones. Bed &Bath just carries the small ones that go for 179 -250.

I read tons of reviews before I bought it , so, I already knew the pros and cons.

Just a heads up for anybody thinking on buying one.

Think I'm gonna really like it because I can put in a whole cookie sheet instead of just a quarter size. Which is the main reason I bought it. If my wall oven , after it gets fixed, doesn't stay at 350` then I will just use it for meats, turkey, etc. I wanted a big toaster oven for cookies mainly and didn't want to spend a fortune on.

cons: if you want 350` set the temp (digital) at 325 and preheat for 7-10 min it will climb to 350`. I set it to 350 ,first, and it climbed to 375`. So, it's trial and error.

Be careful of the door. Handle it gently. I wouldn't recommend this one for households with teenagers and clumsy and impatient users. People have reported breaking the glass out but I suspect that's in households where people are in a hurry and rough.

It gets really hot. Could have been insulated better, but, just use common sense.

If they had made a really large one for 200 and was better quality then the Oster then I would had bought it. I think this one was made for the price conscious. Why only Walmart carries it.

Super Contributor

Re: Oster Extra Large Convection/Toaster oven

Thank you for your detailed review. I have been looking online for a convection/toaster oven. I appreciate your tips.
Honored Contributor

Gonna give it a try out Sat. My wall oven is still down, so, glad I bought this one. Never had the convection feature before. I understand you convert bake times when using the convection feature. So, if recipe calls for 350`, when using convection feature punch in 325. I'm going to give it a run thru first.

Honored Contributor

By the way when U pay for it the clerk (if you buy at walmart) will say "do you want the warranty "? I said "how much is it". "8.00" So, I took it. Forewarned is forearmed. go on amazon, walmart, oster, etc. to read reviews.

Good luck !

Super Contributor

Wow they raised the price at Walmart $20 in the last couple of years. It is one of the very few ovens that will fit a 16" pizza and actually you can fit 2 of them (one on upper shelf, one on lower).

Esteemed Contributor

Sharke you are gonna love having a toaster oven. I use mine pretty much daily and hardly ever use my regular oven.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I agree. I use mine most days. It won't fit a 9x13, so I would use it even more if it did. Mine is quite a few years old, but going strong. They do get hot and mine has a glass door. I'm careful on opening and closing it without slamming. I use it more in the summer since it is hot down here and the regular oven gets the kitchen hot as well!

Honored Contributor

The extra large Oster will take a 9x13 pan as long as it has no handles. To my knowledge it's the only huge combo toaster/convection on the market.

Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 Sharke said:

Gonna give it a try out Sat. My wall oven is still down, so, glad I bought this one. Never had the convection feature before. I understand you convert bake times when using the convection feature. So, if recipe calls for 350`, when using convection feature punch in 325. I'm going to give it a run thru first.

Sharke, one more question. Is it self-cleaning? LOL

I'm checking Amazon for reviews, like you suggested.

Thank you again.

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2015 Southern Fried Chick said:
On 2/27/2015 Sharke said:

Sharke, one more question. Is it self-cleaning? LOL

I'm checking Amazon for reviews, like you suggested.

Thank you again.

If you get one you need to be concerned with the glass on the door shattering if you are a bit too rough.