Valued Contributor

What's cooking this fabulous February?

Welcome February!

Looks like it is causing major snow storms in my area up North. Thinking of family and friends.

No cooking yesterday. Had prime rib at local restaurant last night. Very good. They had peas in the pea pods with grated parm. So good. Had sliced tomatoes with balsamic vinegar as a side.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What's cooking this fabulous February?

All the talk about meatloaf lately made my dinner today an easy choice. Having an early dinner of meatloaf and baked potatoes and asparagus. Later on for the game, just chips and guacamole. Just the two of us here today, so that will be plenty.

Honored Contributor

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/chicago-italian-beef-pot-roast-style-recipe.html

Made this this morning for dinner tonight.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Hello All

Thanx for starting us off Sushi, yep you got it right, we're being bombarded right now, they upgraded to Blizzard from Winter Storm, it's really nasty out there, glad you're enjoying the sun & envious!

Preds, that pot roast looks good, I just made the one with the Ranch dressing mix & Au Jus mix, was good, really am trying to use my crock pot more, Thanx Winifred, hope all is well with your household, you are a dear to deal with all that

Eliana, yes the meatloaf talk got to me last week, had the potatoes in the pan cooking along side till crispy, sandwich the next day even better

Tonite will be something out of the freezer when I get my act together & stop looking out the window!

Stay safe where ever you are

Honored Contributor

This is what I'll be making for supper on Monday night. It's actually my meatloaf recipe but I'll be making meatballs instead and cooking it in the crockpot. I'll add sauce using apx. 1/2 cup ketchup and 1/2 to 3/4 cup Baby Ray's BBQ sauce with a small amount of beef broth. Crockpot - 1 hour on high setting; then 4 to 5 hours on low setting. I'll serve it with scalloped potatoes and steamed lima beans with shoo-fly cake for dessert.

Meatloaf Recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef (I use 80 or 85% lean beef)

1/2 cup oatmeal

1 slice bread, finely ground (optional)

1 1/2 teas. salt

1/2 teas. pepper

2 lg. stalks celery

2 lg. eggs

1/2 onion (about 1/3 cup)

1/8 cup water

1/2 cup ketchup (or BBQ sauce if preferred)

Mix eggs, onion, water, celery, salt and pepper in blender. Blend until celery and onion are finely chopped. Pour into large mixing bowl with ground beef, oatmeal and bread and mix thoroughly. If making as meatloaf pack firmly in nonstick loaf pan. Brush top with ketchup. Cover with foil. Bake in 350 oven, 1 to 1 1/4 hour. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Meatloaf is very moist. Yield: 5-6 servings.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

AnikaBrodie that sure looks good to me. Yummy. Great to see you stop by, don't stay away so long!!!

We had interesting things to eat yesterday being Super Bowl Sunday. LOL. Great platter of fresh veggies - sooooooo crisp and good - with Ranch Campardange organic dressing for a dip - it came with it. Super delicious. Took out the remaining black eyed peas from the freezer from New Years Day and we finished them off with sliced tomatoes. Kids had tea and chips and a salsa dressing for dip. Needless to say fixed no meat but what the hey, the black eyed peas were great protein. Game did NOT come out the way I wanted it. Sigh. Kids also went across the street to a super bowl party there - no alcohol at all - smart people, and they had mini horses, chickens, baby goats and a couple other animals for the kids - and adults - to enjoy and tons of food. Very nice - I stayed home and enjoyed my short time of peace and quiet.

I guess everyone is now ready to roll for another week AND month. Where on earth does the time go?

Also filled the bird feeders but that was near dark so am sure the feeders will be very busy today.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

Had a weird dinner last night but ohhhhhhhhh so good. Put a smidge of oil in the slow cooker and tossed in 3 garlic cloves, a big cut up sweet onion and baby carrots and cooked it higher than usual - my slow cooker is also a regular cooker - make sense?? - for a good 20 minutes. Turned it down to slow cooker mode and tossed in red cabbage - I used a full cabbage chopped up pretty good - , bits of cooked pork roast covered with flour, slice of a lemon, red wine vinegar, about one half cup chicken broth and let it simmer. Boy howdy was it ever good!!!!! Almost forget - added 2 bay leaves. I had a regular recipe but did not want to work that hard so did it like I said - very very good although I did change it around but kept the same ingredients.!

Tonight? Well the kids went with someone to visit someone nearby - now doesn't that makes sense also. Har de har. At any rate since I have no idea when they will get home and I am TIRED of cooking when they come and go at will - biggest offender is their Mom - so decided no cooking and they can eat peanut butter sandwiches. Have worked my buns off trying to get them to understand I am NOT their servant but their provider.

Had to take Davey to Redlands to get new shoes - poor kid, he has the biggest feet around and has that bad toe and he destroys shoes, clothes - you name it. Took him to Famous Footwear and got him some Converse tennies - he now wears a size 13 and I am not sure they are wide enough. He is 14 years old. Mercy me.

There are some of those great veggies left with that delicious organic dip - a French Ranch dressing menu - so I will partake of that for dinner. Works for this veggie person.

By the way, just got my Foods 4 Less flyer - they are owned by Krogers - at any rate they have great chuck boneless roasts - starting tomorrow they are on sale for $3.79 a pound. Still way too expensive but I am a happy camper to find them at that price out here. Their meats and veggies are just great. Will toodle over to Beaumont and get two family packages - each has 2 large roasts in them. Well worth it.

Hope all had a great day and even better tomorrow - another very warm day for a few hours. Now it is getting late so a tad chilly outside.

Honored Contributor